If your questions are not answered by this post, use the ASK button in the top right to tell us what’s missing!
Although Credit Card Insider does receive compensation from some card issuers as advertisers, this does not in any way influence our overall judgement of a card, or how one card is compared to another. Macy's and American Express have not endorsed this content in any way.
Learn more about how we rate credit and charge cards.
Each card has a tiered benefits system: new cardholders start at the Preferred level, and by spending enough money at Macy’s can get upgraded to Elite and then Premier Elite level. The more you spend, the more rewards and benefits you’ll earn.
You’ll get many benefits for free when you own these cards, but you’ll need to pay $25 each year to access the valuable Thanks for Sharing reward. This provides 10% off on most purchases at Macy’s, so it can easily be worth the cost.
You can also add these cards to your online Macy’s account to simplify the checkout process. And if you happen to have both of these cards, you can add them both.
Read on to learn about how these cards are different and how they’ll help you save when you shop.
Where Can I Get The Macy’s Credit Cards?
You can apply for the Macy’s Credit Card online, but new applicants will need to go to a physical Macy’s store to apply for the Macy’s American Express card.
If you already own the regular Macy’s card and want to upgrade to the American Express version, you can just call customer service to apply for it.
Where Can I Use The Macy’s Credit Cards?
The regular Macy’s Credit Card can only be used at Macy’s and macys.com.
The Macy’s American Express card can be used at Macy’s and also anywhere that American Express is accepted.
Adding Cards to Your Account and Combining Macy’s Cards
If you already have an online profile at macys.com, you can add your cards to make it easier at checkout time.
And if you own both the regular Macy’s Credit Card and the Macy’s American Express, you can add both of them to your account.
You’ll need to know:
- Your card account number
- The security code on your card
- Your name as it appears on your card or statement
- The last four digits of your Social Security Number
Once you have all that information, you’re ready to go.
- Start by signing in at macys.com
- In the “my Macy’s Credit Card” section, click the “Add My Card” button
- Enter the required information
- Click the “Add Card” button at the bottom.
- If you want to add another card, click the “my Macy’s Credit Card” link on the left hand side
- Select the drop down box and click the “Add Another Card” button
- Enter the required information
For People with
- Annual Fee: $0
- Interest Rate: 24.75% (Variable)
Quick Card Facts
- Macy's offers different rewards depending on how much you spend on your card each year.
- Preferred Level Customers ($1-$499/yr) - Get 10% rewards on eligible merchandise purchased with your card in-store at Macy's and Macys.com. A $25 enrollment fee is required. Exclusions apply.
- Elite Level Customers ($500-$999/yr) - Get the same rewards plus an additional bonus rewards day per year.
- Premier Elite Level Customers ($1,000+/yr) - Get the same rewards plus 2 additional bonus rewards days per year.
These cards share many of the same rewards and benefits, though the American Express version has more.
Cardholders will be placed in a particular rewards tier according to their yearly spending at Macy’s:
|Loyalty Tier Level||Annual Spending Requirement|
|Preferred||$1 – $499|
|Elite||$500 – $999|
|Premier Elite||$1000 +|
Your loyalty tier will be updated in February, based on your spending in the previous year.
Macy’s Credit Card
There’s one valuable cash-back reward that you’ll need to enroll in each year if you’d like to access it:
- Thanks for Sharing rewards: 10% off eligible Macy’s purchases for an annual fee of $25
- Special bonus discount events: Elite and Premier Elite members also get additional discount events (Elite members get 1 event, Premier Elite members get 2 events)
You can use the card without activating this reward if you’d like, but if you shop at Macy’s frequently enough the 10% discount will be well worth the cost.
Macy’s American Express Card
In addition to the reward above, owners of this card will also have access to:
- Amex Offers: this program provides additional discounts at various retailers, which you can find by following American Express on Facebook and Twitter.
There are quite a few great benefits for using these cards, and they get better as you spend more and upgrade your loyalty tier. Some benefits are only available to members of the higher tiers.
Macy’s Credit Card
- A 20% Discount on your 1st and 2nd day: You’ll get a 20% discount on every purchase for the first two days of your membership (discount savings are limited to $100)
- Macy’s Star Pass Mailings: Special discounts you can use to save even more on sale and clearance items, as well as most regularly priced items
- Preferred Members: get 3 mailings per year
- Elite Member: get 6 mailings per year
- Premier Elite Members: get 12 mailings per year
- Surprise Savings at the register: check your receipt after you shop and sometimes you’ll find discounts and sale offers
- Birthday Offer: You’ll get a nice surprise every year on your birthday (for Elite and Premier Elite members only)
- Free Shipping 4 times per year: Details will be included in your Star Pass mailings (Premier Elite members only)
- Priority Customer Service Phone Number: A priority line you can call to get rapid customer service (Premier Elite members only)
Macy’s American Express Card
In addition to all of the benefits above, you’ll also get:
- Macy’s Travel Benefits: Cardholders will be given a selection of travel benefits, which may include lower fares on air travel, discounts on rental cars, hotels, and vacation packages, and special amenities (Premier Elite members only)
- Chip-and-Signature EMV Technology: Provides better security against card fraud at chip-enabled terminals. Learn more about EMV technology here.
The Costs & Fees
The terms for the Macy’s American Express Card, including the interest rates and fees, are not disclosed online. They are probably similar to the regular Macy’s Credit Card. Go to a physical Macy’s store to learn more about this card and to apply.
|Card||Annual Fee||Regular APR||Regular Balance Transfer APR||Cash Advance APR||Foreign Transaction Fee|
|Macy's Credit Card||$0||24.50% (Variable)||Not Available||Not Available||Not Available|
|Macy's American Express Card||$0||24.75% (Variable)||Balance Transfer Not Available||24.75% (Variable)||3%|
|Card||Penalty APR||Late Fee||Returned Payment Fee|
|Macy's Credit Card||None||Up to $38||Up to $38|
|Macy's American Express Card||See Terms||Up to $37||Up to $37|
The Bottom Line
These cards can provide some great savings and benefits for frequent Macy’s shoppers, and they’ll get even better as you spend more. These cards really shine when they get into the Elite and Premier Elite benefits, so keep these spending thresholds in mind when considering them. Will you be able to reach them?
Just take note of the high APR: at 24.5%, you’ll need to pay off your balance in full each month if you want to avoid some hefty interest payments. These could eat up the discounts you’re getting with the card, making it less valuable on the whole.
There are no annual fees to worry about, so these cards should be basically free to use as long as you avoid that interest.
Is it worth it to pay $25 to get the Thanks for Sharing 10% discount? If you’re going to spend more than $250 at Macy’s in the upcoming year, it probably will be. After you spend $250 (and get $25 in discounts) the enrollment will have paid for itself, and then you’ll be into pure savings.
- You can only use the Macy’s Credit Card at Macy’s and macys.com; you can use the American Express card anywhere that Amex is accepted
- You’ll have access to Amex Offers with the American Express card
- You’ll have access to special travel benefits with the American Express card
Use these cards responsibly and you should find shopping at Macy’s more convenient and less expensive.
Was this review helpful to you? Go ahead and share it with a friend! And if you’ve used one of these cards, click to leave your own review of the Macy’s Credit Card or Macy’s American Express card, we’d love to hear from you!