The BankAmericard Cash RewardsTM Credit Card for Students can help you build credit from practically (or literally) nothing, while you earn cash back rewards on gas and groceries.
There’s no annual fee, and the card comes with an introductory 0% APR for 12 months, as well as a $100 cash back bonus for spending $500 in the first 90 days. The cash back bonus is only available to online applicants.
For People with
- Annual Fee: $0
- Interest Rate: 12.99%-22.99% (Variable)
Quick Card Facts
- $100 online cash rewards bonus after you spend at least $500 on purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- 1% cash back on every purchase, 2% at grocery stores and 3% on gas for the first $1,500 in combined grocery/gas purchases each quarter
- No annual fee
- No changing categories and no expiration on rewards
- 0% Introductory APR for 12 billing cycles for purchases and for any balance transfers made in the first 60 days, then, 12.99% – 22.99% Variable APR. 3% fee (min $10) applies to balance transfers.
- Get a 10% customer bonus every time you redeem your cash back into a Bank of America® checking or savings account
- If you’re a Preferred Rewards client, you can increase that bonus to 25%-75%. Click “Apply Now” to learn more about Preferred Rewards.
- Now with chip technology for enhanced security and protection at chip-enabled terminals
|Cash Back Percentage||Category|
|1%||All Other Purchases|
The 3% and 2% offers are available for the first $1,500 spent each quarter in combined gas and grocery purchases. If that limit is reached, 1% cash back will be earned for those purchases after that.
If you apply for this card online, you’ll be able to earn $100 cash back for spending $500 on purchases in the first 90 days.
You can also earn a 10% bonus on your rewards if you choose to redeem your cash back into a Bank of America checking or savings account. The bonus is awarded when you redeem the cash back.
An even bigger bonus is available If you typically have a very high account balance in your Bank of America bank account (unlikely for a student). If you have a balance of at least $25,000 combined in your Bank of America and/or Merrill Edge® investment accounts, you’ll earn a 25-75% bonus instead, with higher account balances earning a larger discount.
There are just a few additional benefits for owning this card.
Cardholders are covered by a $0 liability guarantee, so you won’t be held responsible for any fraudulent charges made with the account.
You’ll also be protected by two additional services: ShopSafe® provides extra security when shopping online, and SafePass® requires a one-time 6-digit code to be used when banking online.
Optional overdraft protection is available, which will help prevent declined purchases and late fees by linking a Bank of America checking account. You may be charged transfer fees if a transfer between accounts is necessary.
This card also comes with Chip-and-Signature EMV technology, a new standard that provides better security as well as accessibility with more terminals in foreign countries.
|Annual Fee||Intro APR for Purchases and Balance Transfers||Regular APR||Regular Balance Transfer APR||Cash Advance APR||Foreign Transaction Fee|
|$0||0% for 12 months||12.99%-22.99% (Variable)||12.99%-22.99% (Variable)||15.99%-24.99% (Variable)||3%|
|Penalty APR||Late Fee||Returned Payment Fee|
|Up to $29.99 (Variable)||Up to $38||Up to $27|
The Bottom Line
This is a solid rewards credit card for students who want to build their credit, with no annual fee or immediate interest rate to worry about.
The 3% cash back on gas and 2% back on groceries are sure to come in useful, and you’ll be unlikely to hit the $1,500 limit. Having a Bank of America account to redeem into makes this card a bit more rewarding still.
The introductory APR for 12 months is almost as long as it gets, and the cash back bonus ($100 back for spending just $500) is about as good as they come.
If you’d prefer a rewards card with a 5% category that switches every 3 months, check out the Discover it® for Students.
Or, for a card that offers 1.25% cash back on every purchase as long as you pay on time, take a look at the Capital One Journey Student Rewards Credit Card.
Do you use and like this Bank of America student credit card? Do you prefer a different credit card? Let us know in the comments below, and share this article if you found it useful!