If your questions are not answered by this post, use the ASK button in the top right to tell us what’s missing!
Credit Card Insider receives compensation from some credit card issuers as advertisers. Advertiser relationships do not affect card ratings or our Best Card Picks, or how one card is compared to another. Barclaycard and Hawaiian Airlines have not endorsed this content in any way.
Learn more about how we rate cards.
The Hawaiian Airlines® World Elite MasterCard® is a beautifully designed travel rewards card issued by Barclaycard. With it, you’ll earn 2 miles for every $1 spent on eligible flights purchased directly from Hawaiian Airlines and 1 mile for every $1 spent on all other purchases. Generous bonuses on miles are offered throughout the year.
To make traveling easier and more convenient, you’ll get benefits like discounted award travel, a $100 companion discount, World Elite Mastercard benefits, and more awesome perks.
Frequent travelers of Hawaiian Airlines will get the most out of this card. I’ll get into more details about how to get the most out of your card in the Bottom Line section of this post. If you’re interested in that immediately click here, otherwise, read on below.
For People with
- Annual Fee: $89
- Interest Rate: 16.99%, 20.99% or 25.99% Variable
Quick Card Facts
- Earn 2 miles for every $1 spent on purchases made directly from Hawaiian Airlines
- Earn 1 mile for every $1 spent on all other purchases
- Earn up to 10 miles for every $1 spent at participating partners
- There is no limit to the amount of points you can earn
- ShareMiles allows you to receive HawaiianMiles from family and friends online
- 2 miles for every $1 spent on eligible flights purchased directly from Hawaiian Airlines
- 1 mile for every $1 spent on all other purchases
- 35,000 bonus miles when you spend $1,000 in the first 90 days
- 5,000 annual bonus miles if you spend $10,000 or more in purchases
- Access to ShareMiles which allows you to send and receive HawaiianMiles from family and friends online
- Miles with no limit to the amount you can earn, as long as your account is in good standing
- Up to 10 miles for every $1 spent with participating partners, of which there are many.
|Participating Partners||Miles Earned Per $1 Spent|
|PointsHound||Up to 15 miles|
|Discover Hawaii Tours||10 miles|
|FTD.com, Inc||10 miles|
|2020 Auto Detailing||8 miles|
|Massage Maui||6 miles|
|Ocean Sports||6 miles|
|Lobster Gram||5 miles|
- $100 Companion Discount Every Year: When you pay the annual fee and extra taxes, fees, or surcharges. To use this discount the cardholder must be a passenger on the flight along with their companion. Offer is valid for 12 months from the account anniversary. First-class seats, extra comfort fares, or open tickets do not apply.
- One-Time 50% Off Companion Discount: For round trip coach travel between Hawaii and North America on Hawaiian Airlines. Offer is only valid for 13 months from account opening.
- Complimentary First Checked Bag: Limited to the cardholder only.
- Discounted Flight Awards: For travel on Hawaiian Airlines.
- In-Flight Purchase Credit For Pualani Platinum and Pualani Gold Members: Up to $10 per day, up to $100 annually. In-flight purchases include onboard entertainment, beverages, and premium meals.
- Qualify For The Pualani Members Club: Which provides better benefits than this card can alone. Membership consists of 2 levels, Gold and Platinum.
Gold status is awarded for earning 20,000 miles or traveling 30 segments in a year (a segment is a non-stop point-to-point flight). It includes the same benefits you’ll get with this card, as well as:
- 50% Bonus On Frequent Flyer Miles: When traveling on a revenue ticket.
- First 2 Checked Bags Are Free: The next additional bag costs the price of the 3rd bag fee. This replaces the “Complimentary First Checked Bag” that you get without Gold status.
- Zone 2 Priority Pre-Boarding: On flights before general boarding.
- Neighbor Island Same Day Standby: If you need to get an earlier flight to a neighboring island, you can show up at the airport early and standby by for it for free. You won’t be able to take advantage of this perk if you show up within 30 minutes of flight departure or if you’ve already checked your baggage or confirmed your flight.
- Discounted Upgrades w/ Online Check-in: 24 hours prior to departure for North American flights on Hawaiian Airlines.
- 1 Complimentary “Unlimited TV & More” Entertainment Pack: On Hawaiian A330 planes when you fly on North American routes. Includes a variety of classic movies, TV shows, music, and games.
Platinum status is awarded for earning 40,000 miles or traveling 60 segments in a year. It includes the same benefits as Gold status, as well as:
- 100% Bonus On Frequent Flyer Miles: When traveling on a revenue ticket. This replaces the “50% Bonus On Frequent Flyer Miles” that you get with Gold status.
- First 3 Bags Checked Bags Are Free: The next additional bag costs the price of the 4th bag fee. This replaces the “First 2 Checked Bags Are Free” that you get with Gold status.
- Zone 1 Priority Pre-Boarding: On flights before general boarding. This replaces “Zone 2 Priority Pre-Boarding” that you get with Gold status.
- Neighbor Island Economy Class Seat: Guaranteed up until 72 hours prior to departure when a booking a revenue e-ticket.
- Complimentary Upgrades: Such as upgrades to first-class or a preferred seat.
To view more specific details on the Pualani Members Club click here »
- Fraud Protection: You will not be held responsible for unauthorized use of your card.
- Chip-and-Signature and Chip-and-Pin Technology: This card has EMV technology for added security when making purchases. You can find more information on EMV technology here »
This card comes with World Elite Mastercard and Barclaycard benefits. Benefits are features that make shopping, travel, or other aspects of life easier and more secure.
Aside from what’s listed above, Hawaiian Airlines does not list any other benefits on their website, nor will they give them over the phone. You will be provided with a list of what’s available to you if/when you are approved for your card.
To learn more about the kinds of benefits that you’ll get as a World Elite Mastercard cardholder click here »
The Costs & Fees
|Annual Fee||Regular APR||Introductory Balance Transfer APR||Regular Balance Transfer APR||Cash Advance APR||Foreign Transaction Fee|
|$89||16.99%, 20.99% or 25.99% Variable||0% for 15 months (must be made within the first 45 days of account opening)||16.24%, 20.24%, or 25.24% *Variable||25.49% *Variable||0%|
|Penalty APR||Late Fee||Returned Payment Fee|
|See Terms||Up to $37||Up to $37|
The Bottom Line
If you frequently fly on Hawaiian Airlines the Hawaiian Airlines World Elite MasterCard can end up saving you a lot of money traveling to and from the Hawaiian Islands.
How many miles do you need earn to get your money’s worth? It takes 40,000 – 60,000 miles to fly round-trip from New York City or Los Angeles to Honolulu, which normally costs $800 – 900.
To earn this many miles you could:
- Earn 37,000 bonus miles by spending $1,000 on flight purchases from Hawaiian Airlines within the first 90 days. 35,000 miles will come from the sign-up bonus and the other 2,000 miles come from spending $1,000 on flight purchases through Hawaiian Airlines at 2 points for every $1 spent.
- Earn 3,000 more miles by spending $1,500 on flight purchases from Hawaiian Airlines at 2 miles for every $1 spent.
You end up spending $2,500 or more to earn an $800 – 900 round trip ticket to Hawaii from New York or Los Angeles. That’s a pretty awesome deal considering you also get discounted companion tickets, free checked bags, and many other benefits.
You could also use the 40,000 miles to fly from island to island while you’re in Hawaii. Right now it only costs 7,500 miles for a one way flight from Lihue, Kauai to Honolulu, Oahu.
And while you’re in Hawaii you can earn up to 10 miles for every $1 spent with the participating partners listed in the benefits section of this post. Planning on going on a tour? Book your tour with Discover Hawaii Tours and get 10 miles per $1. Need a massage? Go to Massage Maui and get 6 miles per $1.
You can redeem your miles on the Hawaiian Airlines website »
If you want to get the most out of this card you’ll definitely want to join the Pualani Members Club. As a member, you’ll earn more points and have more travel options available to you than you would with this card alone. With Gold status, you’ll get a 50% bonus on frequent flyer miles, your second checked bag for free, priority boarding, and other great perks.
And if you earn the 40,000 points necessary for Platinum status the benefits you get are even better. You’ll get a 100% bonus on frequent flyer miles, your first 3 bags checked for free, priority boarding, and more great perks.
What’s your experience been with the Hawaiian Airlines World Elite MasterCard? Click here to leave your own review of this card for other visitors.
Other Hawaiian Airlines Cards
Hawaiian Airlines also offers a business card, the Hawaiian Airlines® Business MasterCard®, which offers the same rewards, and free employee cards.
The responses below are not provided or commissioned by bank advertisers. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by bank advertisers. It is not the bank advertisers' responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.