2021 Review: Petal® 2 Cash Back, No Fees Visa® Card – Start Building Credit From Scratch
Credit Card Insider is an independent, advertising supported website. Credit Card Insider receives compensation from some credit card issuers as advertisers. Advertiser relationships do not affect card ratings or our Editor’s Best Card Picks. Credit Card Insider has not reviewed all available credit card offers in the marketplace. Content is not provided or commissioned by any credit card issuers. Reasonable efforts are made to maintain accurate information, though all credit card information is presented without warranty. When you click on any ‘Apply Now’ button, the most up-to-date terms and conditions, rates, and fee information will be presented by the issuer. Credit Card Insider has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Credit Card Insider and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. A list of these issuers can be found on our Editorial Guidelines.
The Petal 2 Card is a rare unsecured card designed for people with limited or no credit. It has no annual fee and features cash back rewards, and approval is possible even if you don’t yet have a credit score.
Credit Card Insider receives compensation from advertisers whose products may be mentioned on this page. Advertiser relationships do not affect card evaluations. Advertising partners do not edit or endorse our editorial content. Content is accurate to the best of our knowledge when it's published. Learn more in our Editorial Guidelines.
Our Rating: 5 Out of 5 Stars
We give the Petal® 2 Cash Back, No Fees Visa® Card 5 out of 5 Stars. Not only could it bolster your credit, but it also provides rewards with no clear downsides.
Why We Like It
- No credit score required (but if you do have credit scores, Petal will review them when you apply)
- Good opportunity to start building credit, with a chance to eventually improve credit scores
- Encourages you to save money and develop responsible credit habits
- Up to 1.5% cash back (after 12 on-time monthly payments)
- No foreign transaction fee
- No annual fee
Why It Could Be Better
- The Petal 2 Card has no obvious downsides!
There might not be a better option than the Petal 2 card if you have a limited credit history. Not only does it offer a way to better your credit, but it also provides rewards and a few perks. Many cards designed for limited credit provide neither.
The Petal 2 card can even help instill responsible financial habits that’ll have a lasting effect: Your cash back rate will increase as you make on-time monthly payments.
Petal also offers a mobile app to keep track of your payments (including how much interest you’ll be responsible for), your spending, and your rewards, which makes it all pretty convenient.
Insider Advice: Getting the Most Out of Your Card
- Establish a credit history: The Petal 2 Card gives you a chance to build credit, even if you’re starting with nothing. Petal reports activity to all the major credit bureaus. If you don’t yet have credit you often have to go with a secured credit card to get started, but Petal doesn’t require a security deposit; it’ll check your bank account records to determine your eligibility instead.
- Pay on time to bump up your cash back: Of course you’ll be paying on time — you’re trying to improve your credit, right? But you’ll have an extra incentive with this card. You start with 1% cash back, and after six on-time monthly payments that goes up to 1.25%; and after 12 on-time monthly payments, you’ll earn 1.5% cash back on every purchase.
- The Petal app is here to help: Use the Petal app to check your balance, see upcoming payments, and access a variety of budgeting and saving tools. You can even see how much interest you’ll have to pay if you carry a balance, another nice incentive to always pay your statement balance in full.
- Earn more cash back at select merchants: Along with your basic cash back rewards, you’ll also get 2%–10% cash back at local merchants. Check your Petal app to see where you’ll earn; no activation is necessary, just spend as normal.
In addition to earning a flat rate for all of your purchases, you can also earn rewards through Petal Offers, which we describe below.
Redeeming is pretty simple with the Petal card. The cash back you earn will accumulate in your Cash Back Wallet, visible in the Petal app or your online Petal account page. From there, you can redeem your cash back in the form of statement credits as long as your account is in good standing. It’ll show up as “Cash Back Credit” on your statement.
If you want to redeem over $20 in cash back, you can also call Petal at 1-855-697-3825 to request a check or an ACH transfer to your bank account.
The cash back earned through Petal Offers isn’t separate from the cash back you earn from Petal Rewards, so you won’t have to worry about redeeming two different reward pools.
- Petal Offers: Earn 2%–10% cash back at select local merchants. Current offers are automatically added to the card, and can be checked in the Petal app. Use the card for purchases as normal to claim Petal Offers.
- Free credit score: See one of your credit scores, based on your Experian credit report.
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver: Decline the rental agency’s insurance to get coverage for damage and theft of eligible rental cars.
- Roadside Dispatch: Call 1-800-847-2869 anytime for help on the road, including tows, jumpstarts, and tire changes. Third-party fees apply.
The Terms & Fees
|Purchase APR||Balance Transfer APR||Cash Advance APR|
|12.99 - 26.99% Variable||None||None|
|Annual Fee||Foreign Transaction Fee|
|Balance Transfer Fee||Cash Advance Fee|
|Penalty APR||Late Fee||Returned Payment Fee|
The Bottom Line
If you have limited credit, the Petal® 2 Cash Back, No Fees Visa® Card would be a great choice. It’ll encourage responsible habits that can help you qualify for more advanced credit cards, and earn rewards along the way.
You’ll get a pretty high reward rate for a card like this, especially once you have 12 monthly on-time payments under your belt. You can even monitor one of your credit scores, and access two travel protections.
If you’re able to build up your credit, consider adding a stronger cash back card to your wallet. Or a travel credit card if you find yourself on the road or in the skies often. Just don’t close the Petal card, because closing credit cards could hurt your credit.
How Do I Apply for the Petal 2 Card?
Follow the link below to begin the application process.
Although most people will get an instant decision, in some cases Petal may require more information.
What Credit Scores Do I Need to Qualify for the Petal 2 Card?
The Petal 2 card is made to be an entry point for people with limited or no credit, so you won’t need a robust credit history to qualify.
If you don’t yet have enough credit to calculate a credit score, Petal will check your bank account records instead of doing a typical credit check to determine your creditworthiness. Petal will establish a “Cash Score” for you based on those records, and this score will be used to help approve or deny you.
But if you’ve built up enough credit, Petal will check it just like a normal credit card application. If you have many negative marks on your credit reports, you may not be approved; if you’re dealing with bad credit, check out the Petal® 1 No Annual Fee Visa® Card (Review).
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the Petal 2 card worth it?
If you have limited or no credit, yes. It offers a respectable reward rate and a few perks, which is pretty rare for a card like this. And it supports and rewards responsible habits while building your credit.
What’s the difference between the Petal 2 and Petal 1 cards?
The Petal 2 is made for people with limited or no credit, while the Petal 1 is designed for people with bad credit.
The Petal 1 also doesn’t feature a basic reward program (aside from Petal Offers) like the Petal 2 does. Instead, the only way to earn rewards is through Petal Offers, which includes select local merchants.
Alternatives to the Petal 2 Cash Back, No Fees Visa Card
Evan graduated from SUNY Oswego with a degree in journalism and creative writing. In his professional writing career, he strives for precision and comprehension in his work. He’s written news articles, blog posts, and copy, working across a slew of different mediums. With in-depth research and great care for accuracy and detail, he now works to bring you the most up-to-date credit information.
Do you have a correction, tip, or suggestion for a new post? Contact us here.
The responses below are not provided or commissioned by bank advertisers. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by bank advertisers. It is not the bank advertisers' responsibility to ensure all posts are accurate and/or questions are answered.