Our Rating: 3 Out of 5 Stars
We give the Old Navy Credit Card and the Old Navy Visa Card three out of five Stars. While they can provide some benefit to people who enjoy shopping at Old Navy and its affiliate stores, overall they provide nothing too impressive.
Why We Like Them
- Provide discounts and rewards for Old Navy shoppers
- 5% cash back equivalent at Old Navy and affiliates
- Card upgrade to Navyist at 5,000 points
- No annual fee
Why They Could Be Better
- Few shopping and travel protections
- Minimal special offers
- High interest rates (like most store cards)
These cards are designed to reward you for spending at Old Navy and its affiliate stores, which include Gap, Banana Republic, Hill City, and Athleta.
You’ll earn 5X points per dollar at those stores. And for every 500 points you earn, you’ll receive a $5 reward. That means you’ll get a 5% cash back equivalent, which is pretty good.
After earning 5,000 points in a year, Old Navy will upgrade you to the Navyist member tier, which has additional benefits like free three-to-five-day shipping and 20% bonus points each quarter.
The Visa version of the card can be used anywhere Visa credit cards are accepted, but the basic store version can only be used with specific brands in the Gap, Inc. family. These are Old Navy and the affiliated stores listed above.
If you’re not a fan of Old Navy or the other stores in the Gap, Inc. family, you can check out other retail store cards that might suit you better.
Insider Advice: Getting the Most Out of Your Cards
- Know where to shop: While the Visa card can be used anywhere Visa credit cards are accepted, the basic store version can only be used at stores in the Gap, Inc. family. These include Old Navy, Banana Republic, Gap, Hill City, and Athleta.
- Bigger is better: Once you earn 5,000 points in a calendar year, you’ll be upgraded to the Navyist version of the card with expanded benefits. The extra perks include bonus points and free three-to-five-day shipping.
- Don’t worry about redemption: Every time you earn 500 points, you’ll automatically earn a $5 reward certificate. You can use this for purchases online and in store at Old Navy and its affiliates.
- Keep an eye out for sales: You’ll get early access to popular sales and exclusive events, so watch out for opportunities to save.
- Don’t carry a balance: Like most retail store cards, there’s a pretty high APR, so you’ll want to practice responsible habits to avoid paying interest. You can do so by paying your statement balance in full each month.
The Old Navy Credit Card rewards program offers 5X points per dollar for every purchase you make at Old Navy and its affiliate stores, while the Visa version also earns 1X reward point everywhere else. And for every 500 points you earn, you’ll get $5 back.
So you’re looking at a cash back equivalent of 5% at Old Navy and its affiliates, with 1% everywhere else.
|Introductory Bonus Offer|
Once you’ve earned 5,000 points, you’ll be upgraded to the Navyist version of whichever card you’ve been issued (we’ll explain what that means below). There’s no limit to the number of points you can earn.
The affiliate stores also include Gap Factory and Banana Republic Factory.
Point redemption is pretty easy with these cards. For every 500 points you earn, you’ll automatically get $5 in rewards that can be used online or in store at Old Navy and its affiliated stores.
Your reward will come with an expiration date, so be sure to use it in time.
You’ll see copies of your reward certificates on your monthly statements, but you can’t use them to pay your bill.
Any unredeemed points will expire 24 months after your last purchase, and your account will become inactive at the same time.
The benefits you’ll receive are pretty bare, but the Visa version will likely have a few extra bells and whistles. It may include Visa shopping and travel protections, though the issuer doesn’t explicitly state which ones they may be.
If you reach 5,000 points in a calendar year and are upgraded to the Navyist card, you’ll get a few extra perks.
The standard benefits are:
- Early access: You’ll get early access to popular sales.
- Exclusive offers: Throughout the year you’ll be alerted to exclusive saving offers.
- Zero liability: You won’t be held liable for any unauthorized purchases made on your account.
Upon upgrade to Navyist status, you’ll get:
- Free shipping: Free three-to-five-day shipping on any order you make online from Old Navy and its affiliated stores
- Bonus points: You’ll get a 20% bonus on the points you earn each quarter.
- Free alterations: You can ask for free basic alterations on purchases from Banana Republic.
- Priority customer support line: You can access a free priority line at 866-450-5295.
If you’re looking to rake in some extra points, you can sign up for emails from Gap, Inc. brands, and opt for paperless statements. Doing either of those will net you 500 extra points.
The Terms & Fees
|Card||Purchase APR||Balance Transfer APR||Cash Advance APR|
|Old Navy Credit Card||25.99% Variable||None||None|
|Old Navy Visa Card||25.99% Variable||None||26.99% Variable|
|Card||Annual Fee||Foreign Transaction Fee|
|Old Navy Credit Card||$0||None|
|Old Navy Visa Card||$0||3%|
|Card||Balance Transfer Fee||Cash Advance Fee|
|Old Navy Credit Card||None||None|
|Old Navy Visa Card||None||4%, $10 minimum|
|Card||Penalty APR||Late Fee||Returned Payment Fee|
|Old Navy Credit Card||None||Up to $39||None|
|Old Navy Visa Card||None||Up to $39||None|
It’s a good idea to keep an eye on those high APRs. We recommend you never carry a balance from month to month, and instead pay the full statement balance. That way, you’ll avoid spending money on interest.
The Bottom Line
The Old Navy Credit Card and the Old Navy Visa Card are crafted specifically for people who frequent Old Navy and its affiliate stores. The rewards, at a 5% cash back equivalent, are pretty good, but the perks afforded by the cards are somewhat minimal.
If you don’t like shopping at Old Navy or the other stores in the Gap, Inc. family, you’re probably better off looking at other retail store cards. Or, if you’re looking for valuable cards you can use to earn points or cash back anywhere, see our favorite reward credit cards.
More Gap, Inc. Family Cards
Shop at a different store in the Gap family? Chances are there’s a card for you.
Gap offers several similar cards, focused on the other stores in its brand family.
Each one features 5X points per dollar spent, and they have various welcome bonuses.
- For Gap: Gap Visa and Gap Credit Card
- For Banana Republic: Banana Republic Card, the Banana Republic Visa Credit Card, and the upgraded Banana Republic Luxe Credit Card
Most of the other stores in the Gap, Inc. family also have store cards available.
How Do I Apply for the Old Navy Credit Card or Old Navy Visa Card?
You’ll be directed to oldnavy.com where you can then follow a link to fill out an application. All the necessary info you’ll be required to supply is outlined here, and you’ll typically hear back instantly if you’ve been approved or not.
However, you won’t get to pick the specific card you’d like. Once you submit your application, Synchrony Bank will first consider you for the Visa card. If you don’t qualify for that version, you’ll then be considered for the basic store card.
What Credit Scores Do I Need to Qualify for the Old Navy Credit Cards?
This pair of cards is recommended for people with fair credit.
If you’re within 580–669 for FICO or 601–660 for VantageScore, you’re considered to have fair credit.
However, approval relies on more factors than just credit history. So if you have lower credit scores than what’s recommended, you could still be approved. Or the opposite could even be true.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Must be 18 to apply
- Personal information: Name, date of birth, Social Security number
- Address and contact information: Home address, phone number, email address
- Financial information: Total annual income
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I qualify for the Navyist upgrade?
Once you earn 5,000 points in a calendar year, you’ll be automatically upgraded to the Navyist membership.
Take a look at the expanded benefits you’ll get with the upgrade, which include bonus points and free shipping.
Where can I use my Old Navy card?
The Visa version can be used anywhere Visa credit cards are accepted. But the basic store card can only be used at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic, Hill City, and Athleta.
How can I redeem my points?
Every time you earn 500 points, they will automatically be redeemed into a $5 reward that can be used in store or online at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic, Hill City, and Athleta.
Will my points expire?
Your unredeemed points will expire 24 months after your last purchase, if your card becomes inactive.
The rewards you receive for redeemed points will have expiration dates as well, so don’t forget about them.
The Old Navy Credit Cards offer 5X points per dollar at Old Navy and its affiliates. They also provide first access to sales and exclusive deals. The Visa card can be used anywhere Visa is accepted, while the basic store card can only be used at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic, Hill City, and Athleta.
Credit Card Insider receives compensation from advertisers whose products may be mentioned on this page. Advertiser relationships do not affect card evaluations. Advertising partners do not edit or endorse our editorial content. Content is accurate to the best of our knowledge when it's published. Learn more in our Editorial Guidelines.
Do you have a correction, tip, or suggestion for a new post? Contact us here.
The responses below are not provided or commissioned by bank advertisers. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by bank advertisers. It is not the bank advertisers' responsibility to ensure all posts are accurate and/or questions are answered.