Our Rating: 3 Out of 5 Stars
We give the Kohl’s Charge Card 3 out of 5 Stars because although it has good features, offering valuable discounts for cardholders, some people report serious issues on the back end with payment processing and customer support.
Why We Like It
- 35% discount on your first purchase
- 15% discount in the mail
- 12 annual discounts
- Exclusive sales and special offers for cardholders
- Receipt-free returns
- Earn lifetime MVC status by spending $600 in a calendar year, which comes with more discounts and benefits
- No annual fee
Why It Could Be Better
- No spending rewards (but you can enroll in the separate Yes2You Rewards program)
- Some cardholders report problems with payment processing and customer support
Do you love Kohl’s for the frequent discounts and sales? Are you looking for ways to save even more money shopping for clothes and home goods?
Well you can get sizable, consistent discounts all year long with the Kohl’s Charge Card, also known as the Kohl’s credit card. It’s issued by Capital One.
If you spend $600 in a calendar year you’ll become a lifelong Kohl’s MVC (Most Valued Customer), which will provide an additional six discount mailings per year, a birthday gift, and free shipping events every month.
That’s about all there is to the Kohl’s Charge Card; there are no spending rewards, although you can sign up for Kohl’s unrelated Yes2You Rewards program for free (which Kohl’s shoppers should do). That program provides 1X point per dollar at Kohl’s, which comes to a 5% cash back equivalent.
You’ll get the best value from this card by combining the discounts with other Kohl’s offers and sales, like Yes2You Rewards and Kohl’s Cash coupons. Look for huge savings by waiting to use your discounts for sale events and special promotions, but be aware of the excluded purchase types.
The Kohl’s Charge Card can only be used at Kohl’s, either in-store or online. There’s no annual fee, but watch out for the very high APR of 27.24% Variable (which is typical of store cards).
Although this card offers many cost-saving benefits, be aware that some cardholders report issues with payment processing and customer support. If you use this card try to make your payments early, and take the extra time to make sure they’re received and processed correctly.
“Charge cards” usually refer to a type of credit card that must be paid off in full each billing period, rather than allowing you to carry a balance from month to month. But in this case “charge” is just part of the name, and the Kohl’s Charge Card is a normal credit card that allows you to carry a balance. But we don’t recommend doing so, because the APR is very high and you’ll accrue a lot of interest (pay it off in full instead).
Insider Advice: Getting The Most Out of Your Card
- Start using the card immediately: After being approved for the Kohl’s Charge Card you’ll be given a temporary card number you can use to start making purchases right then and there.
- Activate and register at My Kohl’s Charge: After receiving your card in the mail you should activate it, and create your online account at the My Kohl’s Charge website.
- Take advantage of the discount: You’ll get a 35% discount on your first purchase after being approved for the Kohl’s Charge Card, either in-store or online. You’ll be given a temporary card number to use until your actual card arrives in the mail, which can be used for this purchase and others.
- Combine discounts: You can combine the discounts you get from this card with many other Kohl’s sales and coupons, including Kohl’s Cash and Yes2You Rewards.
- Enroll in Yes2You Rewards: Enroll in the Yes2You Rewards program to earn 1X point per dollar when shopping at Kohl’s, whether you pay with the Kohl’s Charge Card or not. Every 100 points is worth $5 in Rewards Cash, giving you a 5% cash back equivalent. Rewards Cash certificates expire 30 days after being issued, so use them quickly.
- Use the Kohl’s App: The Kohl’s App is a handy place to collect all your member benefits, including Kohl’s Charge discounts, Kohl’s Cash, and Yes2You Rewards. You can add your Kohl’s Charge Card to the app for easy in-store purchases, without having to bring the actual card to the checkout counter.
- Become an MVC: Spend $600 in a calendar year with the Kohl’s Charge Card to become a lifetime Kohl’s MVC (Most Valued Customer), which grants you an additional six discount mailings per year, a birthday gift, and free shipping events each month.
- Consider a different card unless using Kohl’s Charge discounts: You’ll need to use the Kohl’s Charge Card for purchases if you want to access the card’s discounts. But if you’re not using a discount you should pay with a different reward credit card when making purchases at Kohl’s to earn points or cash back, unless you’re trying to hit the $600 threshold to become an MVC.
- Set up autopay: We recommend setting up autopay for the full statement balance each month. Take note that autopay will take effect in the following month; you’ll still need to make your next payment manually. If you don’t pay the full statement balance you’ll accrue interest at a very high rate, negating this card’s discounts.
There are no spending rewards for using this card, like points or cash back. Instead, the value comes from the discounts and benefits you’ll receive, described below.
However, you can enroll in the Yes2You Rewards program, described above. Anyone can join this program, cardholder or not.
Since there are no regular spending rewards, we only recommend paying with your Kohl’s Charge Card when using a Charge Card discount, like the monthly offers. You must pay with your Kohl’s Charge Card to take advantage of those discounts.
If you won’t be using a discount, it would be better to pay with a general-use reward credit card instead, which will earn points or cash back.
So use the Kohl’s Charge Card when you’re getting a Charge Card-related discount, but use a different card for other purchases to earn rewards.
The exception to this strategy is if you’re trying to reach $600 in Kohl’s spending in a given year to become an MVC. In that case you should pay with your Kohl’s Charge Card until you hit that threshold, then follow this advice.
No matter how you pay, you’ll still be able to earn Yes2You Rewards on top of any discounts or card rewards you get.
When paying with the Kohl’s card, you can get discounts plus Yes2You Rewards; and when paying with a reward credit card, you’ll get card rewards plus Yes2You Rewards. With this clever strategy you’ll be able to get two layers of savings, a valuable move known as “double-dipping.”
What is the Yes2You Rewards program?
The Yes2You Rewards program provides 1X point per dollar spent at Kohl’s. On the first of every month, you’ll get $5 in Rewards Cash for every 100 points earned.
This means each point is worth 5 cents, giving you an overall cash back equivalent of 5% on Kohl’s purchases. That’s a pretty great deal for a simple customer loyalty program. But take note that your Rewards Cash certificates can only be used at Kohl’s, and they expire 30 days after being issued. Points in your account, which have not yet been redeemed for Rewards Cash, will expire one year after being earned.
The Yes2You Rewards program is completely separate from the Kohl’s Charge Card. You must enroll specifically in the Yes2You Rewards program if you want to participate in it; simply being approved for the Kohl’s Charge Card will not enroll you in Yes2You Rewards.
Anyone can join the Yes2You Rewards program, you don’t need to be a Kohl’s Charge Card user.
To enroll in Yes2You Rewards you must first create a Kohls.com shopping account, and then log in and click “Yes2You Rewards.” If you enrolled in-store, you can link your shopping account to your Yes2You Rewards account online by logging in and clicking “Yes2You Rewards.”
You’ll earn Yes2You Rewards points no matter how you pay, whether that’s with the Kohl’s Charge Card or not. If you’re using a reward card, like one of our alternative picks below, you’ll earn credit card rewards on top of Yes2You Rewards points.
Yes2You Rewards members will also get a birthday gift, along with bonus point opportunities and eight discount mailings per year. If you have the Kohl’s Charge Card, which provides at least 12 discount mailings per year, you will not get an additional eight discount mailings from your Yes2You Rewards membership.
The Kohl’s card comes with a few perks designed to save you money and reward those who shop frequently.
- Introductory discount: You’ll get a perk after being approved for the Kohl’s Charge card, which is currently: 35% discount on your first purchase. You’ll be given a temporary card number to use until your actual card arrives in the mail, which can be used for this purchase and others.
- 12 annual discount mailings: Each year you’ll get 12 discount mailings, one per month. These discounts may range from 15–30%. You must pay with your Kohl’s Charge Card to use the discounts, and the exclusions mentioned above for the introductory discount also apply here.
- Kohl’s MVC (Most Valued Customer) benefits: If you spend $600 or more in a calendar year with the Kohl’s Charge Card you’ll become a Kohl’s MVC. MVC status never expires; you’ll have it for a lifetime, making this a pretty valuable loyalty program for frequent shoppers (many status upgrades only last for the rest of the current year and for the subsequent year). MVC members get a few extra benefits: 6 extra discount mailings, for a total of 18 per year, free shipping events every month (must use the provided promo codes), and a birthday gift every year.
- Kohl’s Charge Card sales events: Kohl’s Charge Card users will receive early notice of special sales and promotional offers throughout the year. Some sales and offers will be exclusive for Kohl’s Charge Card users.
- Receipt-free returns: You won’t need a receipt to return purchases made with your Kohl’s Charge Card.
The Terms & Fees
|Purchase APR||Balance Transfer APR||Cash Advance APR|
|Annual Fee||Foreign Transaction Fee|
|Balance Transfer Fee||Cash Advance Fee|
|Penalty APR||Late Fee||Returned Payment Fee|
|None||Up to $38||Up to $38|
This card has no annual fee, but take note that it has a very high interest rate, which is common among store credit cards.
If you carry a balance from month to month you’ll accrue interest, which will eat away at any savings you found with the card. But you can completely avoid accruing interest on your purchases by simply paying your statement balance in full each month. We advise using this strategy for all cards, whether the APR is exceptionally high or not (the only exception is if you have a 0% promotional APR).
We also recommend setting up autopay for the full statement balance so you never miss a payment. To find this option, log in and click the “Payments” tab, and then click “Manage Autopay.” Take note that autopay will start the month after you enroll, so you’ll still need to make your next payment manually. Your automatic payments will start the month after that. You can connect a checking, savings, or money market account for payments.
Unfortunately, we’ve seen some reports from cardholders who say they’ve enrolled in autopay but still ended up having issues making payments. While we can’t say for sure what happened in these situations, we suggest keeping a close eye on your card payments to make sure they go through.
One major problem with this system is that you can’t adjust the day of the automatic payment; it will always begin processing just one day before your due date, so if there’s an issue or delay you may end up with a late fee. If there’s an error on Kohl’s side, you may be able to call customer support to get any fees removed.
To play it as safe as you can, you could set up autopay for the statement balance; and then, after receiving your billing statement every month, pay the full statement balance manually, well ahead of the due date. This will give you some time to make sure the manual payment goes through, and, if there was a problem you didn’t notice that prevented it from processing, the autopay should work to make the payment on time.
This is a lot of hassle just to pay off a credit card, but if you’re going to use the Kohl’s Charge Card you may want to take these additional steps to protect your finances and your credit.
The Bottom Line
If you find yourself strolling the aisles at Kohl’s once every couple months or more, the Kohl’s Charge Card could be a great way to save a significant amount of money every year. But if you’re not a frequent shopper you may be better off with a different card instead.
Be sure to keep track of all the discounts you’ll get with this card — the introductory 35% discount on your first purchase, the mailed 15% discount, the annual discounts, and other random offers — and use them before they expire. Try using the Kohl’s App to manage all your card discounts and promotional offers in one place.
If you spend $600 in a calendar year at Kohl’s with this card you’ll become a lifetime MVC, which gives you six more discounts per year and other perks. Anyone who’s going to spend that much at Kohl’s would probably be a good candidate for this card, and the MVC benefits should make your shopping trips even more enjoyable.
Keep in mind that the APR is very high, so you’ll want to pay your full statement balance each month to avoid heavy interest charges. And take note of our recommendations about setting up autopay — a late or missed payment could be quite the headache. Some people stop shopping at their favorite store because they grow so frustrated with the store’s card service. We don’t want this to happen to you, so keep a close eye on your account balance and payments.
The Kohl’s Charge Card is very valuable in certain ways, but a different card offer might work better for you. Check out some alternative options to this card below.
How Do I Apply for the Kohl’s Charge Card?
To apply for this card just follow the link below. You’ll be taken to Kohl’s website to submit your information.
You can also apply in-store at physical Kohl’s stores.
Before applying you can check to see if you’re pre-qualified for a Kohl’s Charge Card, which will have no effect on your credit reports or credit scores. Being pre-qualified or pre-approved for a credit card means you’re likely to be approved, but it doesn’t guarantee approval.
Most applicants will get an instant decision, either approved or denied. In some cases it may take longer to provide a response. If your application is denied you’ll receive an explanation why.
What Credit Scores Do I Need to Qualify for the Kohl’s Charge Card?
You’ll need at least fair credit before applying for the Kohl’s Charge Card.
To qualify for fair credit, your credit scores would need to be within the ranges of 580–669 for FICO and 650–699 for VantageScore.
But there are more factors credit card issuers consider when determining your creditworthiness. Things like income and your source of income are looked at, and this additional information could lead to your approval even if your scores are lower than what’s recommended.
However, that also means you could be denied even if your scores are higher than those ranges.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Must create a Kohl’s Charge Card account
- Optional: Create a Kohl’s shopping account online to easily access member benefits and discounts
- Must be 18 to apply
- Personal identifying information: Including birth date, Social Security number, and phone number
- Financial information: Total household income and source of income, monthly mortgage/rent payment
Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I use the Kohl’s Charge Card?
The Kohl’s Charge Card can only be used at Kohl’s; that includes physical Kohl’s department stores and kohls.com.
Maybe you prefer a different store card? There are quite a few to choose from.
How do I log in and manage my Kohl’s Charge Card account?
It’s important to know that Kohl’s has two different online systems: One for regular shoppers, and one for Kohl’s Charge Card users. If you’re a Kohl’s Charge Card user you should create an account with both.
The website for regular shoppers is just the normal Kohl’s website (kohls.com). You can log in there to access your customer profile, and add coupons and discounts to your account.
The website for Kohl’s Charge Card users is My Kohl’s Charge (credit.kohls.com), and you can log in there to manage your card account, make payments, view your past purchases, and see other account activity.
Take note that the regular shopping account and the Kohl’s Charge Card account will have separate usernames and passwords. The Kohl’s shopping account uses your email address, while the Kohl’s Charge Account uses a username of your choice.
There’s also a Kohl’s App, to which you can link your Kohl’s Charge Card. The app allows you to manage your customer account, view discounts and coupons, and make card payments from your smartphone.
How do I pay my Kohl’s Charge Card bill?
There are four different ways to pay your bill for the Kohl’s Charge Card:
- By phone
- By mail.
We recommend paying online because it’s usually the quickest and easiest method.
Online payments submitted by 7 p.m. CST will post on the same day; payments made after that time will post the day after.
We suggest setting up autopay for the full statement balance, to make sure your payment arrives on time. But there are some aspects of this autopay system that make it a bit different than most; see our instructions for setting up and effectively using autopay for the Kohl’s Charge Card.
Credit card payments can be made in-store using check, cash, debit card, money order, or Kohl’s Cares cards.
When making card payments with cash or by check at a register, the payment may reduce your card balance instantly, freeing up more of your available credit for purchases.
Payments may not appear on your statements until the following day, but they’ll be back-dated to the day the payment was made.
Phone payments can be made by calling 1-855-564-5748. A bank routing and account number is required for ACH payments, although debit cards are also accepted.
The details are a bit different depending on if you’re using the automated phone system or speaking with a customer service associate. The automated system will be the default option.
With the automated system, payments are free and can be made 24 hours a day. Payments made by 7 p.m. CST will post the same day, while payments made after that will post the following day.
With phone associates, on the other hand, you may be charged a fee. Phone associates are available from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. CST, Monday through Saturday, and 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. CST on Sunday. Payments made up to 11:59 p.m. CST will post on the same day.
Checks are the only acceptable form of payment by mail.
Payments received by mail by 5 p.m. CST will post that same day; payments received after that time will post the following day.
For many customers, payments can be sent by mail to:
Kohl’s Payment Center
P.O. Box 2983
Milwaukee, WI 53201-2983
For customers who live in certain states, a different address is used. If you live in AK, AZ, CA, CO, HI, ID, MT, NV, OK, OR, TX, UT, WA, or WV, you should send your payment to:
Kohl’s Payment Center
P.O. Box 30510
Los Angeles, CA 90030-0510
Can I combine Kohl’s Charge Card discounts with other sales?
Yes. The ability to combine discounts makes this card a cost-saving powerhouse in certain situations.
You can combine dollar-off discounts with percent-off discounts, but you can’t combine multiple percent-off discounts. For example, you can use $10 in Kohl’s Cash along with a 35% discount on your first purchase; but you can’t use a 15% discount and a 10% discount.
Dollar-off discounts will also be applied before percent-off discounts. So in the previous example, the $10 in Kohl’s Cash would be used first to reduce the total purchase price, and then the 15% discount would be applied.
Take note that some products are ineligible for percent-off discounts, like certain electronics, beauty and fragrance products, sporting goods, and specific brands. In most cases you can still use Kohl’s Cash and Yes2You Rewards for these products. You can see the full list of excluded purchases here.
What is the credit limit for the Kohl’s Charge Card?
There is no specific credit limit for the Kohl’s Charge Card. Your credit limit will be determined by your overall creditworthiness, including your credit scores and income.
You can request a credit line increase by logging in to your account, clicking the “Account Summary” tab, and clicking the “Request Credit Line Increase” option. Then enter the required information. Kohl’s will allow you to request a credit limit increase once every three months.
Be aware that credit limit increase requests will often result in hard inquiries on your credit reports. If you want a higher credit limit, we recommend requesting an increase about once every 6 to 12 months or so.
Alternatives to the Kohl's Charge Card
Is the Kohl’s card too limiting for you, or is it just not your store? Stick around and take a look at these other cards that might be a better fit.
Citi is a Credit Card Insider advertiser.
Do you use the Kohl’s Charge Card? How do you like it? Do you save a lot of money? Let us know by leaving your own review below, we’d love to hear from you!
Brendan has been writing about personal finance for over eight years, and is now taking on the challenge of bringing high-quality credit education to the masses. He makes sure that Credit Card Insider is covering the most important credit topics transparently and precisely, and that we have up-to-date reviews of credit cards so you can find cards that are right for you.
Do you have a correction, tip, or suggestion for a new post? Contact us here.
The responses below are not provided or commissioned by bank advertisers. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by bank advertisers. It is not the bank advertisers' responsibility to ensure all posts are accurate and/or questions are answered.