2021 Review: Capital One Spark Miles for Business – Earn and Transfer Miles to Save Money
Credit Card Insider is an independent, advertising supported website. Credit Card Insider receives compensation from some credit card issuers as advertisers. Advertiser relationships do not affect card ratings or our Editor’s Best Card Picks. Credit Card Insider has not reviewed all available credit card offers in the marketplace. Content is not provided or commissioned by any credit card issuers. Reasonable efforts are made to maintain accurate information, though all credit card information is presented without warranty. When you click on any ‘Apply Now’ button, the most up-to-date terms and conditions, rates, and fee information will be presented by the issuer. Credit Card Insider has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Credit Card Insider and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. A list of these issuers can be found on our Editorial Guidelines.
The Capital One Spark Miles for Business earns 2X miles per dollar for most purchases, plus greater rewards for hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel. And you could increase the value of your miles by transferring to Capital One’s travel partners.
Credit Card Insider receives compensation from advertisers whose products may be mentioned on this page. Advertiser relationships do not affect card evaluations. Advertising partners do not edit or endorse our editorial content. Content is accurate to the best of our knowledge when it's published. Learn more in our Editorial Guidelines.
The information related to Capital One Spark Miles Select for Business, The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express, and American Express® Business Gold Card have been collected by Credit Card Insider and have not been reviewed or provided by the issuer or provider of these products.
Our Rating: 5 Out of 5 Stars
We give the Capital One Spark Miles for Business 5 out of 5 Stars. Its most prominent feature is its flat rate for most purchases. But you can earn even more rewards for booking some travel with Capital One, and get more for your dollar by taking advantage of mile transfers.
Why We Like It
- 2X miles per dollar for most purchases
- 5X miles per dollar for hotel and car rentals with Capital One
- 50,000 bonus miles for spending $4,500 in the first 3 months
- Mile transfers to partner airlines
- Global Entry/TSA PreCheck application fee credit
- No foreign transaction fee
Why It Could Be Better
- Annual fee (after the first year)
- No intro APR offer
- Few benefits
The Spark Miles for Business has a few impressive features, and gives you a year before you have to worry about its annual fee.
2X miles per dollar is a good rate, and its rewards are bolstered if you manage to book your hotel or rental car through Capital One. And, you’re able to transfer your miles to Capital One’s airline partners to potentially increase their mile value.
You could earn a solid return on your spending with this card, plus save yourself some time when moving through airport security by taking advantage of the Global Entry/TSA PreCheck application fee credit. You also won’t be concerned with paying extra for purchases made outside the U.S., as there isn’t a foreign transaction fee.
If you’re a small business owner looking for a simple and lucrative card to make business trips a bit easier, this could be it.
Insider Advice: Getting the Most Out of Your Card
- Use it for everything: The Spark Miles earns a strong 2X miles per dollar for most purchases, making it relatively easy to rake in the miles for every business expense.
- Check Capital One Travel for hotels and rental cars: While 2X miles is impressive, 5X miles is even better. While booking through one specific travel service might not be ideal every time, it’s worth checking out when planning a trip.
- Transfer your miles: Mile transfers can be a great way to increase how much your miles are worth. Capital One has a pretty impressive selection of travel partners to take advantage of. With most partners, miles will transfer at a 2:1.5 rate; not quite as good as some other issuers, like Amex and Chase, where transfers are usually 1:1.
- Apply for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck: Included with the card is an application fee credit for either Global Entry or TSA PreCheck. Both programs will move you through airport security much faster, but Global Entry includes TSA PreCheck and let’s you skip immigration lines when returning to the United States.
- Keep an eye on your credit utilization: The Spark Miles will report positive and negative activity to both the consumer and business credit bureaus. This means your card spending will appear on your personal credit reports, affecting your overall credit utilization. If you carry a high card balance, it could have repercussions for your credit scores. Most business cards, from other issuers, only report negative activity to the consumer bureaus, so they don’t usually affect your utilization.
- Pair it with another rewards card: If you pair the Spark Miles with another credit card that earns across a wide selection of bonus categories, you could maximize your rewards. Use the other card where it would earn the most, and the Spark Miles for everything else. Check out the best business credit cards for earning rewards.
- Share the wealth: You can give your employees their own cards at no additional charge, and they’ll earn the same spending rewards. You can monitor their spending and set limits too.
Spark Miles vs. Spark Miles Select: Which is better for your business?
The table below compares the 2X miles per dollar from the Spark Miles card with the 1.5X miles from the Spark Miles Select, showing your cash back equivalent at a rate of 1 cent per mile.
If you’re spending less than $19,000 annually, the Spark Miles Select will be the more lucrative option. If your business spends more than $19,000, the Spark Miles will be the more rewarding choice, even after accounting for the annual fee.
|Amount Spent Annually||Cash Back Earned (Spark Miles)||Cash Back Earned (Spark Miles Select)|
You can redeem your miles in a variety of ways:
- Travel expenses made within the past 90 days
- Mile transfers (best value)
- Statement credits
- Gift cards
Redeeming for travel expenses will net you 1 cent per mile, but you could get an even higher per-mile value by transferring to one of Capital One’s travel partners.
Redeeming for statement credits or gift cards will likely not provide 1 cent per mile (depending on the gift card).
Capital One Travel Partners
- Aeromexico Club Premier
- Air Canada Aeroplan
- Air France KLM Flying Blue
- Alitalia MilleMiglia
- Avianca LifeMiles
- British Airways Executive Club
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
- Emirates Skywards
- Etihad Guest
- EVA Air Infinity MileageLands
- Finnair Plus
- JetBlue TrueBlue
- Qantas Frequent Flyer
- Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
- TAP Portugal Miles&Go
- Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles
- Wyndham Rewards
- ALL Accor Live Limitless
- Choice Privileges
The perks offered by the Spark Miles are perhaps its weakest facet. It’s typical to see a handful of stronger benefits with a travel card asking an annual fee, at the very least a few better travel protections, and your card may come with some of those. Check the Guide to Benefits that’s issued with your card to be sure. Regardless, you could still get value from the Global Entry/TSA PreCheck application fee credit as well as the few protections listed here.
- Global Entry/TSA PreCheck application fee credit: Every four years receive up to $100 for the Global Entry application fee or $85 for the TSA PreCheck application fee.
- Transaction details: See merchant information including business locations and logos of the companies you’re purchasing from.
- Purchase records: Quickly access and download your purchase records.
- Free employee cards: Issue employees their own cards with spend monitoring capabilities for no additional cost. You’ll earn miles from their spending, just like the primary card.
- Capital One digital assistant: Eno, the Capital One digital assistant, will monitor your account and send alerts if anything suspicious occurs. You can also ask questions for instant answers, 24/7.
- Extended Warranty: Extend an eligible purchase’s manufacturer’s warranty if it lasts for three years or less.
- Purchase Protection: Purchases you’ve made within 90 days are covered against damage and theft.
- Rental Collision Coverage: Decline the rental provider’s insurance offer and charge the full amount to your card to be covered against damage or theft.
- Travel and Roadside Assistance: Gain access to a number of emergency services including ticket replacement, legal or medical referrals, or roadside assistance.
- Virtual card numbers: Make online purchases more safely by using a virtual card number that’s different from your physical card.
The Terms & Fees
|Purchase APR||Balance Transfer APR||Cash Advance APR|
|20.99% (Variable)||20.99% (Variable)||26.99% (Variable)|
|Annual Fee||Foreign Transaction Fee|
|$0 intro for first year; $95 after that||None|
|Balance Transfer Fee||Cash Advance Fee|
|$0 at this Transfer APR||3% of the amount of the cash advance, but not less than $10|
|Penalty APR||Late Fee||Returned Payment Fee|
|29.40% (Variable)||Up to $39||None|
The Bottom Line
The Capital One Spark Miles for Business could earn you a good number of miles to use for your business trips, and by utilizing mile transfers, it could be pretty rewarding.
2X miles per dollar is a good rate to be sure, and the 5X for hotels and rental cars is a nice option to have. But the benefits are pretty lackluster for a credit card with an annual fee, and they don’t offer much more than what the Capital One Spark Miles Select for Business (Review) comes with.
The rewards offered by the Spark Miles Select are only slightly lower than what the Spark Miles offers (1.5X miles compared to 2X miles). As shown above, if your business spends less than $19,000 annually, the Spark Miles Select would be more rewarding after accounting for the Spark Miles’ annual fee. But if your business spends more than that, the Spark Miles will come out on top.
Otherwise, there are certainly worse cards to choose than the Spark Miles for Business.
How Do I Apply for the Spark Miles for Business?
Follow the link below to be directed to the credit card issuer’s website. You can securely fill out an application, and you’ll typically hear back instantly regarding your approval or denial.
What Credit Scores Do I Need To Qualify for the Spark Miles for Business?
It’s recommended that you have good credit before applying for the Spark Miles for Business.
To qualify for good credit, your credit scores will need to be at least 670–739 for FICO scores and/or 700–749 for VantageScores.
But keep in mind, credit card issuers take more than just credit scores into account when deciding creditworthiness. Additional information like income and monthly mortgage or rent payments factor into the decision.
That means if your credit scores are lower than what’s recommended you could still be approved. However, it also means even if your scores are high, you might be denied.
Alternatives to the Capital One Spark Miles for Business
The information related to Capital One Spark Miles Select for Business has been collected by Credit Card Insider and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer or provider of this product.
The information related to The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express has been collected by Credit Card Insider and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer or provider of this product.
Do you have the Capital One Spark Miles for Business? How lucrative has it been for you? Let us know how you like it in the comments below!If you're not feeling the Spark Miles, take a look at some other top choices. Best Business Credit Cards for Travel
Evan graduated from SUNY Oswego with a degree in journalism and creative writing. In his professional writing career, he strives for precision and comprehension in his work. He’s written news articles, blog posts, and copy, working across a slew of different mediums. With in-depth research and great care for accuracy and detail, he now works to bring you the most up-to-date credit information.
Do you have a correction, tip, or suggestion for a new post? Contact us here.
The responses below are not provided or commissioned by bank advertisers. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by bank advertisers. It is not the bank advertisers' responsibility to ensure all posts are accurate and/or questions are answered.