Review: Capital One QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards Credit Card
Credit Card Insider is an independent, advertising supported website. Credit Card Insider receives compensation from some credit card issuers as advertisers. Advertiser relationships do not affect card ratings or our Editor’s Best Card Picks. Credit Card Insider has not reviewed all available credit card offers in the marketplace. Content is not provided or commissioned by any credit card issuers. Reasonable efforts are made to maintain accurate information, though all credit card information is presented without warranty. When you click on any ‘Apply Now’ button, the most up-to-date terms and conditions, rates, and fee information will be presented by the issuer. Credit Card Insider has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Credit Card Insider and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. A list of these issuers can be found on our Editorial Guidelines.
The Capital One QuicksilverOne is an uncomplicated rewards card for people with fair credit. You’ll earn a flat 1.5% cash back for every purchase, and gain a few useful spending and credit monitoring tools. Despite the annual fee, you could do worse if you’re looking to build your credit.
Credit Card Insider receives compensation from advertisers whose products may be mentioned on this page. Advertiser relationships do not affect card evaluations. Advertising partners do not edit or endorse our editorial content. Content is accurate to the best of our knowledge when it's published. Learn more in our Editorial Guidelines.
Our Rating: 5 Out of 5 Stars
We gave the Capital One QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards Credit Card 5 out of 5 Stars because even though this card is designed for fair credit, it provides a decent amount of cash back for every purchase.
Why We Like It
- Designed for average credit but still offers some cash back
- You may be automatically considered for a higher credit line after six months
- The CreditWise tool can help you improve your credit
- No foreign transaction fees
Why It Could Be Better
- No welcome bonus
- $39 annual fee you’ll need to pay
- Extra benefits are pretty basic for the most part
The Capital One QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards Credit Card is a cash back card designed for people with fair or average credit. It’s one of the better cards you’ll find for this level of credit, because most don’t offer any rewards at all.
You’ll get 1.5% cash back on every purchase you make, a fairly good rate. But you’ll need to pay a $39 annual fee to use this card.
Cards for average credit don’t typically come with very high credit limits, but when using the QuicksilverOne, you may be automatically considered for a higher credit line after six months.
It’s pretty simple and it’s not the most rewarding card, but if you don’t have the best credit your options will be somewhat limited. There’s an upgraded version with better rewards and benefits, but it also requires better credit: the Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card (Review). If you have good or excellent credit, check out that card first. There’s also another Capital One card for average credit that offers rewards.
|Card||Credit Level||Annual Fee||Rewards|
|Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card (Review)||Good or Excellent||$0||
|Capital One QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards Credit Card (This review)||Fair or Average||$39||
|Journey Student Rewards from Capital One (Review)||Fair or Average||$0||
Insider Advice: Getting the Most Out of Your Card
- Use your card for everything: Use this card for all of your spending to earn a flat 1.5% cash back on everything you buy.
- Use it in tandem: Consider combining this card with a different rewards card with bonus categories. Then you can use that other card to earn more cash back in those spending categories, while using the QuicksilverOne for all your other purchases.
- Watch one of your credit scores: Use the CreditWise credit monitoring service to track your VantageScore 3.0 over time, see parts of your TransUnion credit report, and get advice to build up your credit.
- Practice responsible use: Use this card responsibly, always making your monthly payments and paying your balance in full, to improve your credit scores. Eventually, with good financial habits in general, you’ll be able to qualify for a more rewarding card. Then you can close out the QuicksilverOne so you don’t need to pay the annual fee any longer.
- Pay your full balance: Make a habit of paying your statement balance in full every billing period. This will prevent interest from accruing, helping you stay away from credit card debt. It will be better for your credit utilization too, leading to higher scores.
1.5% cash back may not seem like much, but remember that this card is designed for fair or average credit. So its main purpose is to help you improve your credit scores.
The cash back is more like a nice extra feature to find on a card like this. If you don’t have good credit you won’t be able to qualify for better cards, and rewards cards designed for average credit are rare. One of the others to strongly consider is the Journey Student Rewards from Capital One (Review), also issued by Capital One.
You can redeem your cash back whenever you want and for any amount. It won’t expire as long as your account remains open and in good standing.
When it comes time to redeem, you can do so for statement credits, gift cards, or use it to directly cover a recent purchase.
Many credit cards require you to reach a certain amount before you can redeem it, and then you may only be able to do so in certain denominations. So being able to redeem any amount whenever you want is pretty convenient. The Chase Freedom Unlimited® (Review) is a similar card that lets you redeem any amount at any time.
- Access a higher credit line: Capital One may automatically consider you for a higher credit line after six months. Credit cards for average credit typically come with credit limits on the small side, like $1,000 or less at first, so this is a nice feature to have.
- Capital One CreditWise: The CreditWise service provides free access to one of your VantageScore 3.0 credit scores, based on your TransUnion credit report. You can monitor your score over time and get alerts about any changes. Anyone can enroll in the CreditWise service, cardholder or not.
- Capital One Second Look fraud coverage: This tool will automatically monitor your account, 24/7, for fraudulent activity.
- Mastercard ID Theft Protection: Finding out that someone has stolen your identity and is pretending to be you is stressful. If you believe that you’ve been a victim of identity theft call 1-800-MC-ASSIST. These services are available at no charge.
The Terms & Fees
|Purchase APR||Balance Transfer APR||Cash Advance APR|
|26.99% Variable||26.99% Variable||26.99% Variable|
|Annual Fee||Foreign Transaction Fee|
|Balance Transfer Fee||Cash Advance Fee|
|$0 at this Transfer APR||3% of the amount of the cash advance, but not less than $10|
|Penalty APR||Late Fee||Returned Payment Fee|
|None||Up to $40||See Terms|
You’ll need to pay a $39 annual fee to use this card, but when it comes to improving credit this is a pretty small price to pay.
The other terms are pretty straightforward. Any purchases will accrue interest at the rate shown above, unless you pay off your entire balance in full each billing period. This is our recommended strategy, and it’s even more important if you’re working to build or rebuild your credit.
Paying your balance in full each month will have several positive effects on your credit and your finances in general:
- Interest won’t accrue on purchases, making it easier to stay out of credit card debt
- It will keep your credit utilization lower, which is better for your credit scores
- The credit line will be freed up so you can use the card again
- Establishing a credit history of timely payments will show the card issuer and the credit reporting agencies that you’re a responsible card user
To make things more convenient you can set up autopay for the full statement balance each month. This will also ensure that you never forget and get a late payment fee.Read more Capital One Cash Advances: What They Are and Why to Avoid Them
The Bottom Line
The Capital One QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards Credit Card is designed for fair credit, and with that in mind it’s a pretty good offer.
The fee might seem a bit high, but remember that you’re paying for the privilege of building up your credit. There’s no need to pay extra interest charges because you can just pay off your balance in full each month, preventing any interest from accruing.
The 1.5% cash back will help you pay for the annual fee every year, and, depending on how much you spend, you may have quite a bit left over too. Most cards that are meant for less than good or excellent credit don’t provide any rewards at all, so 1.5% is not bad. It’s even competitive with some cards designed for better credit.
You won’t get a ton of valuable extra perks, but you may get a higher credit line just six months into using your card. And the CreditWise tool is a good way to keep an eye on your credit as you work to improve it, providing tips to increase your credit scores faster.
The QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards isn’t a bad card, but it might not be right for you. Check out some alternatives to this card below, which offer general cash back rewards but have no annual fee.
How Do I Apply for the QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards Card?
You can apply now securely on Capital One’s website by following the link below.
Most people will get an instant decision, either approved or denied, but in some cases it could take longer. Capital One may request more information from you.
What Credit Scores Do I Need to Qualify for the QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards Card?
It’s recommended for you to have fair credit or higher for the best chances of being approved.
That would mean your credit scores fall within the ranges of 580–669 for FICO and 650–699 for VantageScore.
There are other factors that affect your creditworthiness that credit card issuers take a look at, like income and source of income. So even if you have lower credit scores, you still might be approved. However, that means even if your scores are higher than what’s recommended, there’s a chance you won’t make the cut.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Must not have applied for a Capital One credit card two or more times in the last 30 days
- Must not have two or more open credit card accounts with Capital One
- Must not be past due or over the credit line with any Capital One credit accounts
- Must be 18 to apply
- Personal identifying information: SSN, address, phone number
- Financial information: Total annual income, source of income, monthly mortgage/rent payment
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the Capital One QuicksilverOne card have an annual fee?
Yes, it has an annual fee of $39. Interested in credit cards with no annual fees? We’ve put together a list.
Can my credit limit be increased?
Yes, Capital One may automatically consider you for an increase in credit line after six months. Manage your card and other credit accounts responsibly (always pay your bills on time) for the best chance at a higher limit.
Curious how your credit limit can impact your credit scores?
Alternatives to the Capital One QuicksilverOne Card
Citi is a Credit Card Insider advertiser.
Do you use this card? How do you like it? Leave your own review of the Capital One QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards Credit Card below, we’d love to hear from you!
Brendan has been writing about personal finance for over eight years, and is now taking on the challenge of bringing high-quality credit education to the masses. He makes sure that Credit Card Insider is covering the most important credit topics transparently and precisely, and that we have up-to-date reviews of credit cards so you can find cards that are right for you.
Do you have a correction, tip, or suggestion for a new post? Contact us here.
The responses below are not provided or commissioned by bank advertisers. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by bank advertisers. It is not the bank advertisers' responsibility to ensure all posts are accurate and/or questions are answered.