Our Rating: 5 Out of 5 Stars
We give the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card 5 out of 5 Stars. If you’re already a Prime member, there’s no reason not to have this card and earn great rewards for your purchases.
Why We Like It
- 5% cash back at Amazon and Whole Foods
- 2% cash back at gas stations, drug stores, and restaurants
- Selection of travel and shopping protections
- It’s metal
Why It Could Be Better
- Few perks outside of shopping and travel protections
The Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature doesn’t have an annual fee, but it does require you to have a Prime subscription. So, if you’re already a Prime member, you’ve already completed the most important step. Why not earn some cash back for purchases you’re already making?
If you don’t have a Prime membership, there’s the Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card. No subscription (or annual fee) is asked of you, but the rewards are less impressive.
There aren’t many perks attached aside from the shopping and travel protections, but those could end up being plenty helpful for Amazon customers, particularly the shopping protections. If one of your new purchases breaks, you could be reimbursed for the cost. Or, if an old purchase suddenly stops working, it could still be covered thanks to the extended warranty perk. Your new Bluetooth speaker and Baby Yoda will be all the safer, just in time for the holidays.Are you on the fence about an Amazon card? We can help with your decision. Amazon Credit Cards: Are They Worth It?
Insider Advice: Getting the Most Out of Your Card
- Get it if you’re already a Prime member: You’ll be able to earn 5% cash back on purchases you’re already making, for no additional cost.
- Use it at Whole Foods Market and for everyday expenses: In addition to Amazon purchases providing a little kickback, you’ll also earn 5% cash back at Whole Foods and 2% cash back on gas, dining, and drug store purchases.
- Maximize your rewards: Use this card for non-Amazon purchases only when you won’t earn more with another rewards credit card.
- Redeem for statement credits: Only redeem your cash for statement credits, or into a bank account, instead of at Amazon checkout. If you use rewards at checkout to reduce your purchase price, you’ll only earn rewards on that new lower amount, rather than the full price. That’ll cost you some cash back.
- Don’t worry if your purchase breaks or vanishes: Have you misplaced the latest Stephen King novel? Has your new space heater stopped working, just in time for winter? If you paid for these purchases with your card, you could be reimbursed for both.
- Enjoy a longer warranty: Before panicking when your coffee maker breaks, check to see how long the manufacturer’s warranty was. Depending on the terms, you could have an additional year to have them fix it.
- Gain some peace of mind while traveling: You and your family will be protected thanks to travel accident insurance. Your luggage can also be reimbursed in the unfortunate event it’s misplaced by the airline, and if it’s delayed, the card issuer may cover the expenses of some necessary purchases.
- Ask for help if you need it: With your card comes the Visa Signature Concierge. If you need help getting tickets to an event or finding a particular rare item, the concierge can point you in the right direction. Learn more about what your concierge can do here.
- Get the best hotel rates and better rooms: With the Visa Signature Luxury Hotel Collection, you’ll find the best rates and gain room upgrades if they’re available, among other perks.
This card provides a strong rewards rate for Amazon and Whole Foods purchases. So strong, in fact, that it’s one of the highest cash back rates available. And the 2% it earns in other categories is pretty good too.
The welcome bonus is, uniquely, an Amazon gift card, and doesn’t require any spending to reach. Upon approval, it’ll immediately be added to your account, and you’ll be free to put it towards any and all Amazon purchases, including those you might have waiting on your Shopping List.
The cash back you earn will actually show up on your monthly statement and when you log in to your Chase account as points, which are typically worth 1¢ each. So, for a $100 gas purchase you’d get 200 points, which are worth $2.00.
Redeeming your rewards is simple enough, and you’ll have a number of different options to choose from. Once you’ve amassed at least 2,000 points, you’ll be able to:
- Use your points at checkout on Amazon.com
- Redeem for statement credits
- Deposit as cash back into a bank account
- Redeem for gift cards
However, we don’t recommend using your rewards at checkout, because that would prevent you from earning rewards on the amount you’re redeeming for.
If your total comes to $100, and you redeem 2,000 points (the equivalent of $20), the amount charged to your card would be $80. From that, you’d earn $4 in cash back ($80 x 5%) instead of earning $5 from the original $100 balance ($100 x 5%). A dollar difference might not seem like much now, but over time, it could add up.
Your best bet is to redeem your rewards for statement credits, or deposit them into a bank account. That way you’ll earn the full rewards on your purchases, and could still use your redeemed rewards to help pay for them.
Cardmembers get a nice selection of Visa Signature shopping and travel protections. These protections will cover new purchases and help out while traveling.
- Visa Signature Concierge: Need help locating tickets, making dinner reservations, or finding a certain item? Call 1-800-953-7392 to access your Visa Signature Concierge and get the help you need.
- Visa Signature Luxury Hotel Collection: Gain access to room upgrades when they’re available, receive the best rate, access complimentary WiFi, and gain other amenities at 900 luxury hotels across the globe.
- Travel Accident Insurance: You and your family are covered against accidental dismemberment or death on your travels, up to $500,000.
- Lost Luggage Reimbursement: You and an immediate family member can be reimbursed for up to $5,000 if your luggage is lost.
- Baggage Delay Insurance: If your baggage is delayed for six hours or more, you’ll have $100 a day for three days to buy essential items like toiletries and clothing.
- Travel and Emergency Assistance: Call your benefit administrator if you need legal, medical, or emergency travel help away from home.
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver: Decline the rental car provider’s insurance offer and charge the full amount to your card, and your eligible rental will be covered against damage and theft.
- Roadside Dispatch: Call 1-800-847-2869 anytime you’re away from home and run into car trouble.
- Extended Warranty Protection: If an eligible product you purchase has a manufacturer’s warranty of three years or less, you’ll get an extra year out of it.
- Purchase Protection: Your eligible new purchases are protected against damage and theft for up to 120 days. You’ll get $500 per claim and $50,000 per account.
The Terms & Fees
|Purchase APR||Balance Transfer APR||Cash Advance APR|
|14.24% to 22.24% Variable||14.24% to 22.24% Variable||24.99% Variable|
|Annual Fee||Foreign Transaction Fee|
|Balance Transfer Fee||Cash Advance Fee|
|5%, $5 minimum||5%, $10 minimum|
|Penalty APR||Late Fee||Returned Payment Fee|
|None||Up to $39||Up to $39|
The Bottom Line
The Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card is a pretty good deal, and if you’re a frequent Amazon shopper, you won’t want to miss out on the potential rewards it offers.
If you’re already paying for Prime, adding this card to your arsenal should be a no-brainer. You’d earn rewards for purchases you’re likely already making. But if you aren’t a Prime member and don’t feel like signing up, you could always consider the Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card.
While the perks that come with the Prime Rewards card aren’t super impressive, they could help you get more out of your Amazon.com purchases by protecting them against the winds of change.
How Do I Apply for the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card?
To apply now for the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature, just follow the link below. You’ll be directed to Amazon’s website where you can securely apply. You’ll likely hear back instantly about whether you’ve been approved or denied.
What Credit Scores Do I Need To Qualify for the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card?
To qualify for fair credit, your credit scores would need to fall within the ranges of 580–669 for FICO and 650–699 for VantageScore.
However, credit card issuers will take other information into account while making the decision. Issuers will consider things like your income and any monthly mortgage or rent payments, meaning even if your scores are below those ranges, you might still be approved.
But that also means even if your scores are as high or higher than what’s recommended, you could still be denied.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Must have or create an Amazon account
- Must be a Prime member
- Must be 18 to apply
- Personal information: Name, date of birth, Social Security number, U.S. citizenship status
- Address and contact information: Home address, phone number, email address
- Financial information: Total annual income, monthly mortgage or rent payment
Frequently Asked Questions
What benefits does the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card have?
The benefits include Visa Signature Concierge, which can help you find event tickets, make dinner reservations, or locate a specific item, and Visa Signature Luxury Hotel Collection. The luxury hotel collection will give you the best rates, supply room upgrades when they’re available, and provide other amenities like complimentary WiFi.
There’s also a handful of shopping and travel protections. These include purchase protection, extended warranty, rental car insurance, and travel accident insurance. In addition, you’ll be able to earn cash back on all of your purchases.
What’s the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card’s credit limit?
The minimum credit limit for this card is $500, but your credit limit will be determined by several factors. Those factors include your credit scores and your income, meaning it will vary from person to person. If you’re not happy with your initial credit limit, you can request an increase in time.
What happens if I cancel my Amazon Prime membership?
If you lose your Amazon Prime membership, you’ll still be able to use your card, but your rewards rate will drop from 5% cash back at Amazon and Whole Foods to 3%. The next time your card is renewed, you’ll be issued the Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card instead.
Alternatives to the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card
Amazon’s not your favorite way to shop? Here are some alternatives that might suit you better.
American Express is a Credit Card Insider advertiser.
Citi is a Credit Card Insider advertiser.
For rates and fees of the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express, please click here.
Evan graduated from SUNY Oswego with a degree in journalism and creative writing. In his professional writing career, he strives for precision and comprehension in his work. He’s written news articles, blog posts, and copy, working across a slew of different mediums. With in-depth research and great care for accuracy and detail, he now works to bring you the most up-to-date credit information.
Do you have a correction, tip, or suggestion for a new post? Contact us here.
The responses below are not provided or commissioned by bank advertisers. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by bank advertisers. It is not the bank advertisers' responsibility to ensure all posts are accurate and/or questions are answered.