Credit Card Insider receives compensation from some credit card issuers as advertisers. Advertiser relationships do not affect card ratings or our Editor's Best Card Picks.
Learn more about how we rate cards.
Prepaid debit cards are a good alternative to cash when you can’t or don’t want to use a credit card, or don’t have access to a debit card through a bank account. In fact, according to the 2013 Federal Reserve Payments Study, prepaid cards were the fastest growing non-cash payment method from 2009 to 2013, resulting in 9.2 billion transactions in 2012 alone. Prepaid debit cards are available to almost anyone of the required age, and require you to pre-load them with funds before use. Keep in mind that prepaid debit cards will have no effect on your credit score.
Another card with very low fees, the American Express Serve® card can be purchased at a number of retailers, including Walmart®, Office Depot, Sheetz, Walgreens, CVS/pharmacy®, and Family Dollar®. Funds can also be added to the account at these stores, as well as by taking photos of checks with a smartphone. The only recurring cost is a monthly fee of $1; withdrawals from MoneyPass® ATMs are free, but other ATMs will be subject to surcharges. Subaccounts can be created and spending is tracked. Extra benefits are included such as purchase and travel protection, as well special discounts and offers from Amex Offers.
For People with
- Annual Fee: $1 Monthly Fee (no fee NY, TX & VT)*
- Interest Rate:
Quick Card Facts
- Your Full Service Reloadable Prepaid Account. (American Express Serve is not a credit card.)
- No credit check. No minimum balance. No hidden fees.
- FREE Direct Deposit gets you access to your money up to 2 days faster.
- FREE ATM withdrawals at over 24,000 ATMs nationwide.
- FREE Online Bill Pay and money management tools.
- Enjoy American Express service and security 24/7. Shop online or off and get access to Card Membership benefits like Purchase Protection.*