USAA was founded in 1922 by 25 members of the U.S. military as a way to insure their vehicles. Since that time, USAA has provided insurance and financial services for members of the military and their families. Services include banking, a range of insurance from automobile to homeowner, personal loans, mortgage loans and retirement planning. The company has grown from its start with 25 members to serving over 9 million members today.
Accounts are available for those who may not yet have a credit history, or have a not-so-good rating as well as to those who have excellent credit histories. Interest rates can be extremely low, and most have no annual fees. Special rates and benefits apply to those who are on active military duty or on overseas deployment.
USAA offers several different types of credit cards, designed for different purposes:
- Their best cash back cards: Review of the USAA Cashback Rewards Plus American Express® and Preferred Cash Rewards Visa Signature®
- Lesser cash back cards: Review of the USAA Cash Rewards Credit Cards
- Reward points cards: Review of the USAA Rewards Visa Signature® and American Express® Cards
- A simple low-rate card: Review of the USAA Rate Advantage Platinum Visa®
- Basic cards for building credit: Review of the USAA Classic American Express® and Visa Platinum®
- Secured credit cards (for building credit): Review of the USAA Secured American Express® and Secured Visa® Credit Cards
- Military affiliate cards (for donations): Review of the USAA Military Affiliate American Express® and World MasterCard®