Capital One Spark is Capital One’s line of small business credit cards. For Capital One’s personal cards go to this page.
There are five Spark cards in total. Four are designed for business owners with excellent credit, with a fifth designed for people with fair or average credit.
|Card||Annual Fee||Credit Level||Rewards||Intro APR|
|Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business (Review)||$95, $0 first year||Excellent||
|Capital One® Spark® Cash Select for Business (Review)||$0||Excellent||
||0% intro APR on purchases for 9 months (then 14.74%, 18.74%, or 22.74% Variable)|
|Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business (Review)||$95, $0 first year||Excellent||
|Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business (Review)||$0||Excellent||
||0% intro APR on purchases for 9 months (then 14.74%–22.74% Variable)|
|Capital One® Spark® Classic for Business (Review)||$0||Fair or Average||
All these cards report to three different credit bureaus: Dun & Bradstreet, Experian, and the Small Business Financial Exchange.
These cards do not have foreign transaction fees.
Unlimited employee cards are available on all these cards for free. Spending on employee cards earn rewards, and you can set individual credit limits on each card.
These cards all earn an unlimited amount of cash back (or “miles”) at a fixed rate on all your business expenses. Some other business card back cards have an annual cap on certain bonus categories. You may find it beneficial to get more than one business credit card to maximize rewards. You could spend on a different business card that earns more in certain categories, then use one of these Capital One Spark cards for all other purchases when you’d earn less with another card.
Spark Classic (Fair Credit)
The Spark Classic is designed for people with fair or average credit. It’s a good offer for that credit level considering it has no annual fee and earns an unlimited 1% cash back on all purchases.
Spark Cash & Spark Miles (Excellent Credit)
For business owners with excellent credit, there are four different options: two different Spark Cash cards and two different Spark Miles cards. Within each family, there’s a rewards card with no annual fee, and a second card that earns more rewards and has an annual fee.
Based on our research, the only reason to get a Spark Miles card over a Spark Cash card is if you want to transfer your rewards to a partner airline program.
With the Spark Miles or Spark Miles Select you’ll earn 2 or 1.5 miles per dollar spent, respectively. These “miles” can be redeemed for travel purchases at a rate of 1¢ each, or, starting in December 2018, they can be transferred to an airline loyalty program at a rate of 2:1.5 miles.
Alternatively, with the Spark Cash or Spark Cash Select you’ll earn 2% or 1.5% on all purchases, respectively. You’ll get this cash back as a statement credit, regardless of the types of purchases you make.
Spark Cash cards
The main differences between these cards are the amount of cash back they earn and the annual fees:
- Spark Cash: 2% cash back, $95 annual fee after the first year
- Spark Cash Select: 1.5% cash back, no annual fee
The Spark Cash cards are a great deal, since you can earn an unlimited amount of cash back no matter how much you spend on the cards. The main difference between these card is the amount of cash back each earns. To help with cash flow, the Spark Cash Select also offers a 9-month 0% introductory APR on purchases before the regular 14.74%, 18.74%, or 22.74% Variable ARP starts, which the Spark Cash does not have.
Based on the annual fee and cash back potential, we’ve calculated that if your small business spends more than $19,000 per year, you’ll earn more rewards value with the Spark Cash than the Spark Cash Select. This table shows the amount of cash back you’ll earn with each card (after the annual fee) at several levels of spending:
|Amount Spent Annually||Cash Back Earned, Spark Cash||Cash Back Earned, Spark Cash Select|
Spark Miles cards
The main differences between these cards are the annual fee and how many “miles” they earn:
- Spark Miles: 2 miles per $1 spent, $95 annual fee after the first year
- Spark Miles Select: 1.5 miles per $1 spent, no annual fee
These “miles” can be redeemed for travel purchases at 1¢ each, or transferred to a partner airline loyalty program at a rate of 2:1.5 miles (starting in December 2018), which could provide a better value. So, the Spark Miles cards provide the same or greater cash back value than the Spark Cash cards, but with more restrictions on how the rewards can be redeemed. If you travel often and want to turn your rewards into airline miles, you may prefer the Spark Miles or Spark Miles Select over the equivalent Spark Cash card.
The same $19,000 spending threshold that applies to the Spark Miles vs. the Spark Miles Select also applies to the Spark Cash cards, provided you can redeem all your rewards for travel purchases. The Spark Miles Select comes with a 9-month 0% introductory APR on purchases before the regular 14.74%–22.74% Variable APR kicks in, while the Spark Miles doesn’t.
|Capital One Airline Partners|
|Aeromexico Club Premier||Air Canada Aeroplan||Air France/KLM Flying Blue||Alitalia MilleMiglia|
|Avianca LifeMiles||Cathay Pacific Asia Miles||Etihad Guest||EVA Infinity MileageLands|
|Finnair Plus||Hainan Fortune Wings Club||Qantas Frequent Flyer||Qatar Airways Privilege Club|
Capital One Business Card Features
All Capital One business cards come with a certain set of benefits, provided by Capital One. They also come with more benefits and protections provided by either Visa or Mastercard.
The benefits provided by Capital One are:
- No foreign transaction fees: No extra charges for transactions made outside the U.S.
- Experienced Business Customer Service Representatives: Specially trained to help with your business needs.
- Employee cards: Get free employee cards to manage spending and maximize your reward potential.
- Spending Summaries: Quarterly and year-end summaries of purchases.
- Connect to Quickbooks®: Transfer your spending data to Quickbooks, Quicken, or Excel.
- Shopping Protections: Including Purchase Security and Extended Warranties.
- Travel Protections: You’ll get an Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, along with Travel and Emergency Assistance Services.
- Fraud Protection: Real-time coverage of fraud attempts to help protect your account.
- Account Alerts: Personalized email or text reminders to help you stay on top of all account activity.
- Personalized Payment Due Date: Pick your own monthly due date.
Capital One will also provide a link to the Guide to Benefits that comes with each of their cards, a very handy resource.
Compare Business Credit Cards
Browse business credit cards on our partner’s site below.
Business Credit Cards
- Bring your Business finances to the next level with a Business rewards card.
- Bonus offer – new card holders may be eligible for welcome bonuses of up to 100,000 points.
- Earn rewards points on your everyday business expenses.
- Rewards can be redeemed for business expenses like airfare, gas, or hotel rooms.
- Credit cards and charge cards are available.
- Terms vary by partner offer. Please see each bank’s application for terms and conditions.
- Clicking Apply Now will take you to CreditCards.com to compare Business cards from participating partners.