That means you’ll be approved or denied based on your business’ creditworthiness. According to customer support, companies that are typically approved by Brex have the following characteristics:
- Professional investors
- Consistently hold more than $100,000 in a U.S.-based bank account
- An EIN (Employer Identification Number)
So the person who applies for the card (a company executive or authorized officer) is not personally liable for charges made to the card. Instead, the business itself is liable. This is very different from most business cards, which check the applicant’s credit history and credit scores, require a personal guarantee, and will hold the applicant liable for any charges.
To apply you must link a corporate bank account, so Brex can determine the creditworthiness of your business as part of the underwriting process. Automatic monthly payments will be withdrawn from this account to pay for charges made to the Brex card.
This card is only available to corporations and other types of non-individual liability companies. Consumers, sole proprietors, and unregistered businesses are ineligible. There are also some prohibited persons and businesses activities, like gambling, prostitution, the production and sale of marijuana, cryptocurrency mining, and multi-level marketing.
The Brex corporate credit card offers a valuable rewards program — Brex Exclusive — but this requires you to make Brex the exclusive corporate card for your business. After qualifying for Brex Exclusive, you’ll get:
- 7X points per dollar on Rideshare services (including Uber, Lyft, taxi, etc.)
- 4X points per dollar on Flights, hotels, and Airbnb booked through Brex Travel
- 3X points per dollar on Restaurants
- 2X points per dollar on Recurring software purchases
- 1X point per dollar for all other purchases
If you don’t qualify for Brex Exclusive you’ll get just 1X point per dollar for all purchases.
There are also a surprising number of perks, in the form of thousands of dollars in credits for various services that startups and technology companies often find useful. These are available whether you qualify for Brex Exclusive or not, and they include:
- $5,232 in ZenDesk credits
- $5,000 in Amazon Web Services credits
- $1,560 in SendGrid credits
- $500 in Twilio credits
- $150 in Google Ads credits
- 15% off the list price of a WeWork office space for six months
The Brex Corporate Card has no annual fee. The first five cards you get will be free, but after that there will be a $5 annual fee for every employee card. It also states that it offers credit limits 10–20 times higher than competitive cards.
Card activity will be reported to Experian Business, so you can use the Brex card to help improve your business credit.