The Business Platinum Card® from American Express OPEN carries a lot of prestige and is known as much for its generous rewards as it is for its hefty $450 annual fee.
It has an attractive (limited time) introductory offer, as well as a bevy of other benefits that are sure to make frequent fliers smile, such as bonus points for trip purchases and complimentary airport lounge access. But with such a large annual fee and rewards aimed mostly at travelers, this card is not for every business owner.
This card is best for established businesses with a positive cash flow, a strong credit history and two or more years in business.
This card is one of our picks for the Best Credit Cards for Freelancers – 2016.
Insider Tip: You may be able to get the annual fee on this card waived. Just call customer service and ask nicely to have it waived, explaining that you’ve been a good, responsible customer for some time. Or, if you’re thinking of canceling the card, you can let them know that you’d consider staying with them if they waive the fee. In some cases they may offer a different incentive, like bonus points.
And if you’re in the military on active duty, you can submit an online request for SCRA benefits, which will probably include having the annual fee waived.
- Annual Fee $450
- Intro Purchase APR -
- Regular Purchase APR Not Applicable - Paid in Full Monthly
- Earn 2 points for every $1 spent on the American Express Travel website
- Earn 1 point for every $1 spent on all other purchases
- Annual Relationship Bonus: Earn 30% more rewards each year
- Signup Bonus 40,000 points for $5,000 in the first 3 months
- Chip Technology Chip-and-Signature
- Foreign Transaction Fee 0%
- Intro Balance Transfer APR -
- Regular Balance Transfer APR -
- Cash Advance APR -
- Penalty APR -
- Late Fee Up to $38 or 2.99%, whichever is greater
- Returned Payment Fee $38
Check your card's Guide to Benefits to learn the specific benefits your card offers and how to access them. Learn more about credit card benefits here.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: When incidental fees, such as checked bags and in-flight refreshments, are charged by the airline to your card, you can be reimbursed up to $200.
- Platinum Card Concierge: Assistance from a personal concierge. They can help you with restaurant reservations, special event planning, gift suggestions, research and more.
- DEPARTURES Magazine: Get a magazine that’s published 7 times a year for Platinum Card® Members. It focuses on travel, style, culture, shopping, dining, and the interesting, inspiring, and unexpected.
- Gogo® and Boingo Internet: 10 Gogo inflight internet passes annually and unlimited Wi-Fi at Boingo hotspots when you enroll your card.
- International Airline Program: Save on companion tickets when you purchase an international ticket.
- Starwood Preferred Guest® Program: You get Gold Preferred Membership automatically. Includes, hotel room upgrades whenever they are available, late checkouts, and the opportunity to earn nights and free flights with SPG Flights.
- Car Rental Privileges: Special upgrades and discounts on premium car rental programs of Avis, Hertz, and National Car Rental.
- Preferred Seating Program: Exclusive seating at sports, concerts, and other entertainment events at leading venues. You also get tickets before other people to eligible events.
- Airport Club Access Program and Priority Pass™ Select: Exclusive access to The Centurion℠ Lounges, Delta Sky Clubs®, and Airspace Lounges. You can also enroll in Priority Pass™ Select for free.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓TM: If you apply for Global Entry ($100) or TSA Pre✓TM ($85) with your card, you get a statement credit every 5 years. With this benefit, you will get expedited screening at certain airports.
- International Airline Program: Buy an International First or Business Class ticket with your card and get a discount on a ticket for a companion. Eligible airlines only.
- Entertainment Access®: Exclusive access to ticket presales and card member-only events in your city.
- Dispute Resolution: Help with fraudulent transactions.
- Extended Warranty: For warranties of 5 years or less you can get up to one extra year added to the original manufacturer’s warranty.
- Purchase Protection: Items purchased with your card are protected against accidental damage and theft within 90 days of the purchase.
- Return Protection: If the merchant won’t take back an eligible item that you purchased on your card within 90 days from the date of purchase, American Express may refund the purchase price, minus shipping and handling, for up to $300 per item, up to $1000 per year for each account.
- Global Assist® Hotline: When you travel 100 miles or more from home you can get help with travel accidents such as a lost passport, the need for a lawyer, sudden illness, and more. You pay for all third-party service costs.
- Baggage Insurance Plan: When you buy a Common Carrier ticket on your card, eligible lost, damaged, or stolen bags are covered up to $3,000 for carry-on baggage & checked bags together and up to $2,000 for checked baggage only.
- Travel Accident Insurance: Added financial security if accident or death is caused when traveling by plane, train, ship, or bus; up to $500,000.
- Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance: Stolen or damaged vehicles are covered if you use your card to pay and reserve the rental, and you decline the collision damage waiver. Not all rentals or vehicles are covered. Provides secondary coverage only, not liability coverage.
- Roadside Assistance Hotline: Assistance with services such as towing, changing a flat, or boosting a battery in case of emergency. American Express covers your charges 4 times. You cover third party costs after that. Restrictions Apply.
American Express Benefits
- This card comes with American Express benefits. You will be provided with a list of specific benefits when you get your card.