The Serve® card is a prepaid card backed by American Express®. With the Serve® prepaid account you may only spend up to the amount of money previously deposited, unless you have previously linked a backup account.
American express offers two other Serve prepaid cards as well, the American Express Serve FREE Reloads Card, and the Serve Cash Back. The American Express Serve FREE has the same benefits as the Serve plus free cash reloads at over 45,000 locations. The Serve Cash Back has the same features as the Serve, but it also offers 1% cash back on all purchases, a rarity among prepaid cards.
Check your balance online
You can check the balance of a Serve card online at any time on the American Express website.
This is not actually a credit card!
Keep in mind prepaid cards do not help you build credit since they don’t report to the credit bureaus. If you have bad credit and would like to build credit, a secured card may be a better option.
Confused about all the different amounts listed on your credit card bill? Read our guide to paying credit cards here.
- Annual Fee $1 Monthly Fee (no fee NY, TX & VT)*
- Intro Purchase APR -
- Regular Purchase APR -
- Signup Bonus None
- Chip Technology None
- Foreign Transaction Fee 2.7% after conversion to U.S. Dollars
- Intro Balance Transfer APR -
- Regular Balance Transfer APR -
- Cash Advance APR -
- Penalty APR -
- Late Fee -
- Returned Payment Fee -
Check your card's Guide to Benefits to learn the specific benefits your card offers and how to access them. Learn more about credit card benefits here.
This card comes with American Express benefits. Below is what’s listed on the American Express website. You will be provided with a list of specific benefits when you get your card in the mail.
- Membership Experiences: Tickets and savings to sporting events and entertainment.
- Amex Offers: Special offers on dining, shopping, and more!
- 24/7 Customer Service: Access to customer support around the clock.
- Tranfer Funds Between Cards for Free
- Link a Bank Account for Free
- Set Aside Money in Reserve for Free
- Fraud Protection: Cardholders are protected against fraudulent charges.
- FDIC Insurance: Money in American Express Serve Accounts is eligible for FDIC insurance. Temporary card funds are not eligible.
- Purchase Protection: Provides coverage against theft and damage for up to 90 days for eligible items.
- Global Assist Hotline®: Assistance setting up services during travel emergencies, whether it be medical, legal, financial, or another emergency. Examples include medical and legal referrals, assistance with cash wires, passport replacement, missing luggage and more. Cardholders are responsible for third-party service provider fees.
- Roadside Dispatch: 24/7 help with roadside emergencies. Examples towing, changing a flat, or boosting a battery. Cardholders are responsible for third-party service provider fees.
See more on our YouTube channel
Read about experiences others have had with this card and leave your own review here.
Submit your review
I have an Serve card and I would give them zero stars for customer service. I've had this card for about three months and found it very difficult to use. First, there tons of businesses that just don't accept Amex. Second, I had a travel website double charge my card for a hotel reservation. It was their mistake. I contacted Serve and they said there was nothing I could do but wait 7 days for the transaction to fall off of my account. I was stuck traveling with no money in my account and Serve would do nothing about the unauthorized transaction. I contacted the travel website who then got a Serve representative on the phone to clear it up and they still refused to do anything. Using this as the account for my travel funds, I was stuck on a trip with no money. This card is worthless, this company is worthless and the customer service agents have zero power, knowledge or incentive to assist customers. STAY AWAY FROM AMEX SERVE!!!!!!!
When depositing checks you have to wait 10 BUSINESS days for the first check to clear. This is something that is only written in the fine print AFTER you deposit the check. If you search the website there is no mention of this in their terms and conditions. When speaking to customer service the first reps. have no knowledge of this. They said it would clear in 48 hours. When it did not I was put through to a manager who said that the reps. had no business telling me it would clear that quickly and that it would take 10 days. Half the reps. have no idea what is going on. They do not even try to fix the mistake. They just say it isn't their problem.
I was told by American Express Serve this morning,Dec 7 , 2016 not to use my card for hotel charges because fund holds went from 7 days to 30 days . I was told by Belle the AE rep to only use it for meals and small purchases . The new policy that holds your funds for hotels for 30 days instead of 7 . DONT USE THIS CARD ANYMORE .You will be royally ripped off .
The best card on the marke! I like getting my paycheck 2 days earlier, and the ability to add fund that are available immediately. Love the fact I can get up to 4 additional linked cards for my children and add funds from my card to theirs instantly! Awesome! That is great way to give allowances to each child baded upon their good grades or chores. There is no monthly fee with the addition of $500 or direct deposit. I have had the card for about 3+ years. ALso, I get my money faster than the credit union.
The card is excellent. Lowest fees (only $1/month) unless you deposit more than $500/month, then no fees. No fees to load money at many retailers, including Rite Aid, CVS, 7-11 and Dollar General. No fees to use MoneyPass ATMs (you can find them here: https://www.moneypass.com/atm-locator.html). The only drawback is that Amex is not accepted by all merchants.