The Serve® card is a prepaid card backed by American Express®. With the Serve® prepaid account you may only spend up to the amount of money previously deposited, unless you have previously linked a backup account.
American express offers two other Serve prepaid cards as well, the American Express Serve FREE Reloads Card, and the Serve Cash Back. The American Express Serve FREE has the same benefits as the Serve plus free cash reloads at over 45,000 locations. The Serve Cash Back has the same features as the Serve, but it also offers 1% cash back on all purchases, a rarity among prepaid cards.
Check your balance online
You can check the balance of a Serve card online at any time on the American Express website.
This is not actually a credit card!
Keep in mind prepaid cards do not help you build credit since they don’t report to the credit bureaus. If you have bad credit and would like to build credit, a secured card may be a better option.
Confused about all the different amounts listed on your credit card bill? Read our guide to paying credit cards here.
- Annual Fee $1 Monthly Fee (no fee NY, TX & VT)*
- Intro Purchase APR -
- Regular Purchase APR -
- Signup Bonus None
- Chip Technology None
- Foreign Transaction Fee 2.7% after conversion to U.S. Dollars
- Intro Balance Transfer APR -
- Regular Balance Transfer APR -
- Cash Advance APR -
- Penalty APR -
- Late Fee -
- Returned Payment Fee -
Check your card's Guide to Benefits to learn the specific benefits your card offers and how to access them. Learn more about credit card benefits here.
This card comes with American Express benefits. Below is what’s listed on the American Express website. You will be provided with a list of specific benefits when you get your card in the mail.
- Membership Experiences: Tickets and savings to sporting events and entertainment.
- Amex Offers: Special offers on dining, shopping, and more!
- 24/7 Customer Service: Access to customer support around the clock.
- Tranfer Funds Between Cards for Free
- Link a Bank Account for Free
- Set Aside Money in Reserve for Free
- Fraud Protection: Cardholders are protected against fraudulent charges.
- FDIC Insurance: Money in American Express Serve Accounts is eligible for FDIC insurance. Temporary card funds are not eligible.
- Purchase Protection: Provides coverage against theft and damage for up to 90 days for eligible items.
- Global Assist Hotline®: Assistance setting up services during travel emergencies, whether it be medical, legal, financial, or another emergency. Examples include medical and legal referrals, assistance with cash wires, passport replacement, missing luggage and more. Cardholders are responsible for third-party service provider fees.
- Roadside Dispatch: 24/7 help with roadside emergencies. Examples towing, changing a flat, or boosting a battery. Cardholders are responsible for third-party service provider fees.
Read about experiences others have had with this card and leave your own review here.
Submit your review
Ok so i have read most of all the comments i truly belive far as the $5.95 fee or the no protection might seriously have something to do with where the company is at. Meaning.. I got the Serve card back in 2012-13 and i think thats about the time they were co.ing out. So you know in the beginning stages in order to grab the clientel they will give HUGE offers that will eventually dissolve(so sad to say) thats the same like tv internet and phone companies the wheel you in then once they are at the top you start to see the decline from customer service then it goes from humans to robots from free to charging. Im a MetroPcs customer and the only reason i chose them is because i know if my dd hasnt loaded on time you can get a 48 hour extentsion with talk text and web NOW you can talk and text but that internet smoooooove off😂😂 why? Because why should they be the only "assholes" of the phone biz to be giving away 2 days worth of free service when the comps only give 24 or none!! So guys i would say this RESEARCH EVERY LAST ONE OF THESE PREPAID CARD COMPS because some are worth it and some arent but you gotta see which one is worth having.
So I did my brother's taxes on Taxslayer and he didn't have a bank account and so he chose the card to get his refund of $1389 loaded onto this card... I thought AMEX can't go wrong... boy was I ever wrong... I did his taxes got an email from the IRS saying the money was loaded on April 19th... It's now August 8th we still haven't received his taxes... they keep giving us different reasons as to why... we have sent various faxes with personal information and they keep saying they haven't received it...even though our fax machines all say they have... I'm convinced we are never getting his money...
American Express Serve is nothing like American Express. The customer service is terrible. Also, I was in the phone with them reporting fraudulent activity as it was happening. They saw it come up on their end. Said, don’t worry we are making a report. 2 days later my claim was rejected and the account was closed. They said it was because I abused the card by reporting false activity. I’m out $416! What a bunch of lies. Oh! They will hang up on you too. Fraud protection?! Don’t use this card. I’m reporting them to the trade commission.
Please don't waste your time. This is the Worst prepaid card. I have 3 different direct deposits coming to my card. It's always a issue. They do resolve it. It's cost me 5.95 a month. Charges me ATM fees plus bank fee so I pay over 5 dollars to get my money when I use ATM. Money pass machine is 45 min away. The ones closer say moneybags but still charge me. Lot of my important bills don't accept card so I have to pay extra to withdraw money to pays bills. This card is BIG B. S. IM changing as soon as I get my replacement card that I paid 20 dollars out my account to get expedited an today TGE 3rd day. Still no card. I just need it to withdraw all my money an change my dIrect deposit. I HATE THIS DAMN CARD 100000%
Tried this card with tax return and lost over two hundred dollars because of fraud. All i was told my claim was denied two days aftersubmitting