The Serve® card is a prepaid card backed by American Express®. With the Serve® prepaid account you may only spend up to the amount of money previously deposited, unless you have previously linked a backup account.
American express offers two other Serve prepaid cards as well, the American Express Serve FREE Reloads Card, and the Serve Cash Back. The American Express Serve FREE has the same benefits as the Serve plus free cash reloads at over 45,000 locations. The Serve Cash Back has the same features as the Serve, but it also offers 1% cash back on all purchases, a rarity among prepaid cards.
This is not actually a credit card!
Keep in mind prepaid cards do not help you build credit since they don’t report to the credit bureaus. If you have bad credit and would like to build credit, a secured card may be a better option.
- Annual Fee $1 Monthly Fee (no fee NY, TX & VT)*
- Intro Purchase APR -
- Regular Purchase APR -
- Signup Bonus None
- Chip Technology None
- Foreign Transaction Fee 2.7% after conversion to U.S. Dollars
- Intro Balance Transfer APR -
- Regular Balance Transfer APR -
- Cash Advance APR -
- Penalty APR -
- Late Fee -
- Returned Payment Fee -
Check your card's Guide to Benefits to learn the specific benefits your card offers and how to access them. Learn more about credit card benefits here.
This card comes with American Express benefits. Below is what’s listed on the American Express website. You will be provided with a list of specific benefits when you get your card in the mail.
- Membership Experiences: Tickets and savings to sporting events and entertainment.
- Amex Offers: Special offers on dining, shopping, and more!
- 24/7 Customer Service: Access to customer support around the clock.
- Tranfer Funds Between Cards for Free
- Link a Bank Account for Free
- Set Aside Money in Reserve for Free
- Fraud Protection: Cardholders are protected against fraudulent charges.
- FDIC Insurance: Money in American Express Serve Accounts is eligible for FDIC insurance. Temporary card funds are not eligible.
- Purchase Protection: Provides coverage against theft and damage for up to 90 days for eligible items.
- Global Assist Hotline®: Assistance setting up services during travel emergencies, whether it be medical, legal, financial, or another emergency. Examples include medical and legal referrals, assistance with cash wires, passport replacement, missing luggage and more. Cardholders are responsible for third-party service provider fees.
- Roadside Dispatch: 24/7 help with roadside emergencies. Examples towing, changing a flat, or boosting a battery. Cardholders are responsible for third-party service provider fees.
See more on our YouTube channel
Read about experiences others have had with this card and leave your own review here.
Submit your review
I was told by American Express Serve this morning,Dec 7 , 2016 not to use my card for hotel charges because fund holds went from 7 days to 30 days . I was told by Belle the AE rep to only use it for meals and small purchases . The new policy that holds your funds for hotels for 30 days instead of 7 . DONT USE THIS CARD ANYMORE .You will be royally ripped off .
The best card on the marke! I like getting my paycheck 2 days earlier, and the ability to add fund that are available immediately. Love the fact I can get up to 4 additional linked cards for my children and add funds from my card to theirs instantly! Awesome! That is great way to give allowances to each child baded upon their good grades or chores. There is no monthly fee with the addition of $500 or direct deposit. I have had the card for about 3+ years. ALso, I get my money faster than the credit union.
The card is excellent. Lowest fees (only $1/month) unless you deposit more than $500/month, then no fees. No fees to load money at many retailers, including Rite Aid, CVS, 7-11 and Dollar General. No fees to use MoneyPass ATMs (you can find them here: https://www.moneypass.com/atm-locator.html). The only drawback is that Amex is not accepted by all merchants.
Have used this prepaid card for the last few years and I am in the process of switching cards because of the inconsistencies in posting direct deposits. My paycheck has posted as early as Tuesday and as late as Thursday. Also do not like that customer service can barely speak English.
am out of town because my son has leukemia. He scheduled for a bone marrow transplant. I'm not working so understandably I have to watch every penny. I tried to book a hotel room on a third party website. They took almost $200 from my Serve account but did not give me a room. I called Serve customer service and was informed that the funds would appear on my account immediately as soon as the vendor release them but they have up to 7 days to release them and then without medical experiments but 100% of those on the vendor. I called customer service for the online company and they were very Cooperative they apologized and informed me that they never took the funds they just pre-authorized for the amount of the hotel room. However if the money was still appearing as taken from my account they offered to call serve with me on the line and inform them of the error and inform Serve that they will not be taking the money. When we reached the supervisor at the surf customer service she was rude and refused to help in any way just simply saying a phone call was not sufficient that another form of communication was necessary no matter what form of communication the third party online company offered the woman that serve refused. Eventually I had to get off the phone because I needed to get back to my son. I tried calling again over and over speaking to supervisors and always that continue to blame the vendor and in some cases blame me. Serve customer service hung up on me yelled at me and accused me of using profanity when I mentioned that I'd worked in banking for 9 years. The whole experience has just been appalling. Instead of being of the focus on my sick son I'm on the phone with heartless soulless robots. I am cancelling the card as soon as all the money is released. They are holding more funds but I dont really need to go into those because the process was the same. Eventually after numerous calls to Serve customer service in speaking to supervisors one simply told me they didn't care what I needed and what the manager said that with American Express was going to hold my money.