The Serve® card is a prepaid card backed by American Express®. With the Serve® prepaid account you may only spend up to the amount of money previously deposited, unless you have previously linked a backup account.
American express offers two other Serve prepaid cards as well, the American Express Serve FREE Reloads Card, and the Serve Cash Back. The American Express Serve FREE has the same benefits as the Serve plus free cash reloads at over 45,000 locations. The Serve Cash Back has the same features as the Serve, but it also offers 1% cash back on all purchases, a rarity among prepaid cards.
Check your balance online
You can check the balance of a Serve card online at any time on the American Express website.
This is not actually a credit card!
Keep in mind prepaid cards do not help you build credit since they don’t report to the credit bureaus. If you have bad credit and would like to build credit, a secured card may be a better option.
Confused about all the different amounts listed on your credit card bill? Read our guide to paying credit cards here.
- Annual Fee $1 Monthly Fee (no fee NY, TX & VT)*
- Intro Purchase APR -
- Regular Purchase APR -
- Signup Bonus None
- Chip Technology None
- Foreign Transaction Fee 2.7% after conversion to U.S. Dollars
- Intro Balance Transfer APR -
- Regular Balance Transfer APR -
- Cash Advance APR -
- Penalty APR -
- Late Fee -
- Returned Payment Fee -
Check your card's Guide to Benefits to learn the specific benefits your card offers and how to access them. Learn more about credit card benefits here.
This card comes with American Express benefits. Below is what’s listed on the American Express website. You will be provided with a list of specific benefits when you get your card in the mail.
- Membership Experiences: Tickets and savings to sporting events and entertainment.
- Amex Offers: Special offers on dining, shopping, and more!
- 24/7 Customer Service: Access to customer support around the clock.
- Tranfer Funds Between Cards for Free
- Link a Bank Account for Free
- Set Aside Money in Reserve for Free
- Fraud Protection: Cardholders are protected against fraudulent charges.
- FDIC Insurance: Money in American Express Serve Accounts is eligible for FDIC insurance. Temporary card funds are not eligible.
- Purchase Protection: Provides coverage against theft and damage for up to 90 days for eligible items.
- Global Assist Hotline®: Assistance setting up services during travel emergencies, whether it be medical, legal, financial, or another emergency. Examples include medical and legal referrals, assistance with cash wires, passport replacement, missing luggage and more. Cardholders are responsible for third-party service provider fees.
- Roadside Dispatch: 24/7 help with roadside emergencies. Examples towing, changing a flat, or boosting a battery. Cardholders are responsible for third-party service provider fees.
See more on our YouTube channel
Read about experiences others have had with this card and leave your own review here.
Submit your review
Horrible. Use cash or get a real bank account. It's fine if you load cash on and only use in small amounts. If you need large amounts transferred or need a large amount of cash they make it so inconvenient that you just give up. Can't use this for a lot of things (including uber). If you need to call be prepared to be on hold for a half hour, explain your situation repeatedly, and then have them tell you there's nothing they can do.
Wow, just reading some of the 1 star complaints I'm about to post and my situation is exactly as (5/12/2017). I've been an AMEX Serve card holder for at least 2 years. Any problem I've had was resolve quickly which is why I don't understand why now it's a problem. I had an unauthorize use in the amount of about $200.00 and went thru the red tape they send you thru for an answer. I have copied and paste their answer to me..."Recently you requested supporting information regarding transaction(s) on your American Express Prepaid Card. After further review, we have determined that there are no available documents to provide to you."IF THAT'S NOT ENOUGH TO CONVINCE YOU NOT TO USE AMEX SERVE, IT MUST BE NICE TO GIVE YOUR MONEY AWAY!!!
I've had my Amex Serve card for almost a year now, and I think it's the best prepaid card out there. There are free ATM's for withdrawals, free reloads/deposits and there's no purchase fee when I swipe it. I also like the fact that I get paid sooner with direct deposit. But the best part about this card for me is that I've already accumulated $100 in cash back rewards so far! So I'm making money just by making purchases. Also, moving money to and from my sub accounts is easy and there's no limit as to how many times I can do it. (Most banks allow up to only 6 transfers per month. ) I would give it 5 stars, but the fact that Amex isn't excepted at all merchants is a bummer and has caused some inconvenience.
I have an Serve card and I would give them zero stars for customer service. I've had this card for about three months and found it very difficult to use. First, there tons of businesses that just don't accept Amex. Second, I had a travel website double charge my card for a hotel reservation. It was their mistake. I contacted Serve and they said there was nothing I could do but wait 7 days for the transaction to fall off of my account. I was stuck traveling with no money in my account and Serve would do nothing about the unauthorized transaction. I contacted the travel website who then got a Serve representative on the phone to clear it up and they still refused to do anything. Using this as the account for my travel funds, I was stuck on a trip with no money. This card is worthless, this company is worthless and the customer service agents have zero power, knowledge or incentive to assist customers. STAY AWAY FROM AMEX SERVE!!!!!!!
When depositing checks you have to wait 10 BUSINESS days for the first check to clear. This is something that is only written in the fine print AFTER you deposit the check. If you search the website there is no mention of this in their terms and conditions. When speaking to customer service the first reps. have no knowledge of this. They said it would clear in 48 hours. When it did not I was put through to a manager who said that the reps. had no business telling me it would clear that quickly and that it would take 10 days. Half the reps. have no idea what is going on. They do not even try to fix the mistake. They just say it isn't their problem.