The Platinum Card® from American Express is a luxury charge card, complete with perks and benefits fit for jet-setters and well-heeled spenders.
From complimentary airport lounge access, personal 24/7 concierge, and a laundry list of other rich benefits, the Platinum Card from American Express® delivers on its rare metal namesake.
This card has been listed as one of our picks for The Best Charge Cards for 2016.
Insider Tip: You may be able to get the annual fee on this card waived. Just call customer service and ask nicely to have it waived, explaining that you’ve been a good, responsible customer for some time. Or, if you’re thinking of canceling the card, you can let them know that you’d consider staying with them if they waive the fee. In some cases they may offer a different incentive, like bonus points.
And if you’re in the military on active duty, you can submit an online request for SCRA benefits, which will probably include having the annual fee waived.
- Annual Fee $450
- Intro Purchase APR -
- Regular Purchase APR Not Applicable - Paid in Full Monthly
- Get up to $200 in airline fee credits if incidental fees are charged by the airline on your card. Incidental fees include checked bags, in-flight refreshments and flight-change fees
- Membership Rewards® Program – use rewards points to on travel, hotels, cruises, or vacation booking
- InCircle® Program – When you enroll into InCircle and use your card at Neiman Marcus, Bergdorf Goodman, Last Call, Horchow or Cusp you get InCircle and Membership Rewards® points
- The Limousine Program – Make your limousine reservation by calling Platinum Travel Service and earn 2 extra points for every $1 you spend on your limousine
- Signup Bonus Earn 40,000 points if you spend $3,000 on your card within your first 3 months
- Chip Technology Chip-and-Signature
- Foreign Transaction Fee 0%
- Intro Balance Transfer APR -
- Regular Balance Transfer APR -
- Cash Advance APR -
- Penalty APR -
- Late Fee Up to $38
- Returned Payment Fee Up to $38
Check your card's Guide to Benefits to learn the specific benefits your card offers and how to access them. Learn more about credit card benefits here.
- Car Rental Privileges: Special upgrades and discounts on premium car rental programs of Avis, Hertz, and National Car Rental.
- Fine Hotels & Restaurants: Complimentary benefits and competitive rates at 750 places around the world.
- Platinum Card Concierge: Assistance from a personal concierge. They can help you with restaurant reservations, special event planning, gift suggestions, research and more.
- Platinum Dining® Program: Automatic reservation at 1,000 of the most acclaimed restaurants in the US and abroad.
- DEPARTURES Magazine: Get a magazine that’s published 7 times a year for Platinum Card® Members. It focuses on travel, style, culture, shopping, dining, and the interesting, inspiring, and unexpected.
- Airport Club Access Program and Priority Pass™ Select: Exclusive access to The Centurion℠ Lounges, Delta Sky Clubs®, and Airspace Lounges. You can also enroll in Priority Pass™ Select for free.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓TM: If you apply for Global Entry ($100) or TSA Pre✓TM ($85) with your card, you get a statement credit every 5 years. With this benefit, you will get expedited screening at certain airports.
- American Express Travel: 24/7 travel consultants to help you plan your vacation.
- International Airline Program: Buy an International First or Business Class ticket with your card and get a discount on a ticket for a companion. Eligible airlines only.
- Premium Access to Some of the Most Sought-After Events: Entry to food festivals, VIP packages at concerts, and more.
- By Invitation Only® Events: Exclusive access to sports, fashion events, fine dining, entertainment, performing arts, and more.
- Entertainment Access®: Exclusive access to ticket presales and card member-only events in your city.
- Dispute Resolution: Help with fraudulent transactions.
- Extended Warranty: For warranties of 5 years or less you can get up to one extra year added to the original manufacturer’s warranty.
- Purchase Protection: Items purchased with your card are protected against accidental damage and theft within 90 days of the purchase.
- Return Protection: If the merchant won’t take back an eligible item that you purchased on your card within 90 days from the date of purchase, American Express may refund the purchase price, minus shipping and handling, for up to $300 per item, up to $1000 per year for each account.
- Global Assist® Hotline: When you travel 100 miles or more from home you can get help with travel accidents such as a lost passport, the need for a lawyer, sudden illness, and more. You pay for all third-party service costs.
American Express Benefits
- This card comes with American Express benefits. You will be provided with a list of specific benefits when you get your card.