This Week in Credit Card News: March 19–25
Credit Card Insider is an independent, advertising supported website. Credit Card Insider receives compensation from some credit card issuers as advertisers. Advertiser relationships do not affect card ratings or our Editor’s Best Card Picks. Credit Card Insider has not reviewed all available credit card offers in the marketplace. Content is not provided or commissioned by any credit card issuers. Reasonable efforts are made to maintain accurate information, though all credit card information is presented without warranty. When you click on any ‘Apply Now’ button, the most up-to-date terms and conditions, rates, and fee information will be presented by the issuer. Credit Card Insider has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Credit Card Insider and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. A list of these issuers can be found on our Editorial Guidelines.
Increased welcome bonuses for Chase Sapphire cards; 25% bonus for Flying Blue transfers from Citi cards; New AARP credit cards from Barclays; New 2% cash back card from TD Bank; Apple Card didn’t discriminate against women; Goldman Sachs eyes JetBlue credit card portfolio.
Credit Card Insider receives compensation from advertisers whose products may be mentioned on this page. Advertiser relationships do not affect card evaluations. Advertising partners do not edit or endorse our editorial content. Content is accurate to the best of our knowledge when it's published. Learn more in our Editorial Guidelines.
Increased Welcome Bonuses for Chase Sapphire Reserve and Sapphire Preferred (Expired)
- Chase has increased the welcome bonuses for two popular travel credit cards:
- These offers are now expired; select a card above to see its current welcome bonus offer.
- See more of the best credit card signup bonus offers.
Capital One Partners With Hopper to Launch New Travel Platform
- Capital One announced a partnership with Hopper, a Canadian travel startup. Together they’ll launch Capital One Travel in the second half of 2021.
- Hopper is a travel booking tool that aims to predict future flight and hotel prices, to tell you the best times to book.
- Hopper raised a $170 million Series F round of funding, led by Capital One. This follows a $70 million funding round in May.
- The new Capital One Travel portal will work in conjunction with Capital One travel credit cards (including business cards).
- Sources: TechCrunch, PYMNTS
Citi Credit Cards: 25% Bonus for Point Transfers to Flying Blue/Air France KLM
- Citi credit cardholders can get a 25% bonus for ThankYou point transfers to Flying Blue/Air France KLM.
- The normal transfer rate is 1:1 (1,000 ThankYou points for 1,000 partner miles). The bonus increases the rate to 1:1.25 (1,000 ThankYou points for 1,250 partner miles).
- This bonus expires at EOD 4/16/21.
- Point transfers are available for select Citi travel cards; the best options are currently the Citi Prestige® Card (Review) and Citi Premier® Card (Review).
- Source: Doctor Of Credit
Barclays Launches Two New AARP Credit Cards
- Barclays is launching two new credit cards co-branded with AARP (American Association of Retired Persons), tailor-made to the needs and interests of AARP members:
- The launch comes even as Barclays seems to be backing out of the U.S. credit card market; the issuer has discontinued many of its most notable cards in recent years.
- Sources: AARP Essential Rewards Mastercard; AARP Travel Rewards Mastercard
Barclaycard Financing Visa To Be Converted To Barclays View Mastercard
- According to a post in the MyFICO forum, the Barclaycard Financing Visa® (Review) will be converted to a new product on 5/7/21: the Barclays View Mastercard.
- The new card is rumored to have the following bonus reward categories:
- 3X points per dollar on Dining
- 2X points per dollar for:
- Streaming, Internet, Phone, and TV
- 1X point per dollar for every other purchase
- Source: MyFICO Forum
New 2% Cash Back Credit Card From TD Bank
- The new TD Double Up Card offers up to 2% cash back for every purchase: a base rate of 1% for every purchase, plus 1% for redeeming into an eligible TD Bank deposit account.
- The TD Double Up card also comes with a welcome bonus, and an introductory 0% interest rate for balance transfers. It has no annual fee.
- TD Bank products, including this card, are only available in select states.
- Source: TD Bank
Apple Card: Investigators Find No Evidence of Discrimination Against Women
- The Apple Card and its issuer, Goldman Sachs, were the subject of recent controversy when several high-profile men (including Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak) claimed that they received higher credit limits than their female partners, presumably as a result of discrimination.
- An investigation by NYSDFS of nearly 400,000 New York applicants recently concluded that Goldman Sachs did not discriminate based on sex, and that credit limits were determined by the normal factors such as credit history and income. They reported that the models used by Goldman Sachs “did not consider prohibited characteristics of applicants and would not produce disparate impacts.”
- Regulators pointed out that it’s a common misconception that spouses with shared finances should get similar credit limits.
- Goldman Sachs was able to justify its credit approval decisions for each instance of claimed discrimination that was investigated, although the issuer was criticized by the NYSDFS for not having a better system to deal with the confusion.
- Sources: Verge, Bloomberg
Goldman Sachs Sets Its Sights on Barclays’ JetBlue Credit Card Portfolio
- Goldman Sachs is in discussions with JetBlue, aiming to take over the airline’s credit card program.
- Barclays is the current issuer of the JetBlue credit cards, and is reportedly trying to hold on to the program. Barclays’ contract with JetBlue is reported to last about another three years.
- Goldman Sachs made its first move into the credit card market in 2019, with the launch of the Apple Card.
- Source: Wall Street Journal
Brendan has been writing about personal finance for over eight years, and is now taking on the challenge of bringing high-quality credit education to the masses. He makes sure that Credit Card Insider is covering the most important credit topics transparently and precisely, and that we have up-to-date reviews of credit cards so you can find cards that are right for you.
The information related to Citi Prestige® Card has been collected by Credit Card Insider and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer or provider of this product.
Do you have a correction, tip, or suggestion for a new post? Contact us here.
The responses below are not provided or commissioned by bank advertisers. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by bank advertisers. It is not the bank advertisers' responsibility to ensure all posts are accurate and/or questions are answered.