This Week in Credit Card News: March 12–18
Credit Card Insider is an independent, advertising supported website. Credit Card Insider receives compensation from some credit card issuers as advertisers. Advertiser relationships do not affect card ratings or our Editor’s Best Card Picks. Credit Card Insider has not reviewed all available credit card offers in the marketplace. Content is not provided or commissioned by any credit card issuers. Reasonable efforts are made to maintain accurate information, though all credit card information is presented without warranty. When you click on any ‘Apply Now’ button, the most up-to-date terms and conditions, rates, and fee information will be presented by the issuer. Credit Card Insider has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Credit Card Insider and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. A list of these issuers can be found on our Editorial Guidelines.
New SoFi credit card; New limited-time welcome bonuses for Amex Marriott Bonvoy cards; Activate Chase Freedom Flex 5% bonus categories; Fed expects to leave interest rates unchanged for now.
Credit Card Insider receives compensation from advertisers whose products may be mentioned on this page. Advertiser relationships do not affect card evaluations. Advertising partners do not edit or endorse our editorial content. Content is accurate to the best of our knowledge when it's published. Learn more in our Editorial Guidelines.
The information related to Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card, Chase Freedom Flex℠, and Chase Freedom® have been collected by Credit Card Insider and have not been reviewed or provided by the issuer or provider of these products.
New SoFi Credit Card Offers 2% Cash Back for Loan Payment Redemptions
- SoFi publicly released a new World Elite Mastercard, which had previously been available to targeted customers: SoFi Credit Card.
- The card provides 2% cash back for every purchase, but only if you redeem to pay down an eligible debt, save, or invest with SoFi.
- Some other flat-rate cash back cards offer 2% cash back for every purchase, without those redemption requirements.
- Source: SoFi
New Limited-Time Welcome Bonus Offers for Amex Marriott Bonvoy Credit Cards (Expired)
- These offers have now expired.
- Two American Express credit cards co-branded with Marriott Bonvoy have increased welcome bonuses for a limited time. Select a card name below to see the current offer.
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card (Review): Earn 125,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Plus, earn up to $200 in Statement Credits for eligible purchases at U.S. Restaurants within the first 6 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 5/12/2021.
- Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card (Review): Earn 100,000 Marriott Bonvoy bonus points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in eligible purchases within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Plus, earn up to $150 back in statement credits on eligible purchases made on your new Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 5/12/21.
- See other Marriott Bonvoy credit cards.
Chase Freedom Flex: Activate 5% Cash Back Rotating Categories for Q2 2021
- Starting March 15, cardholders of the Chase Freedom Flex℠ (Review) can activate their 5% cash back rotating categories for the second quarter of 2021 (April through June).
- The 5% rotating bonus categories for Q2 are:
- Gas Stations
- Home Improvement Stores
- 5% cash back in these categories is available up to $1,500 spent. Activate by June 14 to earn 5% cash back for eligible purchases throughout the quarter.
- The categories also apply for cardholders of the old Chase Freedom® (Review).
- Visit ChaseBonus.com to activate the categories.
Fed Expects to Leave Interest Rates Unchanged Through 2023
- In a meeting on 3/17, the Federal Reserve offered improved economic forecasts but indicated it did not expect to raise interest rates through 2023.
- Although an interest rate hike is not expected, other central bank policy changes may be announced.
- A change in the Federal Reserve prime interest rate would affect interest rates for credit cards, loans, and other financial products.
- Source: CNBC
CreditShop Rebrands to Mercury Financial
- CreditShop Holdings LLC (CreditShop) has changed its name to Mercury Financial Holdings LLC (Mercury Financial).
- Mercury Financial specializes in financial products for near-prime consumers (people with fair credit/poor credit).
- The company’s flagship offering, the Mercury® Mastercard®, has over 600,000 cardholders.
- You can find other credit cards for fair credit here or poor credit here.
- Source: Mercury Financial
For rates and fees of the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card, please click here.
Brendan has been writing about personal finance for over eight years, and is now taking on the challenge of bringing high-quality credit education to the masses. He makes sure that Credit Card Insider is covering the most important credit topics transparently and precisely, and that we have up-to-date reviews of credit cards so you can find cards that are right for you.
Do you have a correction, tip, or suggestion for a new post? Contact us here.
The responses below are not provided or commissioned by bank advertisers. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by bank advertisers. It is not the bank advertisers' responsibility to ensure all posts are accurate and/or questions are answered.