This Week in Credit Card News: June 18 – July 1
Credit Card Insider is an independent, advertising supported website. Credit Card Insider receives compensation from some credit card issuers as advertisers. Advertiser relationships do not affect card ratings or our Editor’s Best Card Picks. Credit Card Insider has not reviewed all available credit card offers in the marketplace. Content is not provided or commissioned by any credit card issuers. Reasonable efforts are made to maintain accurate information, though all credit card information is presented without warranty. When you click on any ‘Apply Now’ button, the most up-to-date terms and conditions, rates, and fee information will be presented by the issuer. Credit Card Insider has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Credit Card Insider and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. A list of these issuers can be found on our Editorial Guidelines.
New Wells Fargo Active Cash Card is open for applications; Amex Platinum gets more benefits and a higher annual fee; American Express expands and improves Global Lounge Collection; New Miami Marlins Credit Card from Cardless.
Credit Card Insider receives compensation from advertisers whose products may be mentioned on this page. Advertiser relationships do not affect card evaluations. Advertising partners do not edit or endorse our editorial content. Content is accurate to the best of our knowledge when it's published. Learn more in our Editorial Guidelines.
The information related to The Business Platinum Card® from American Express and Centurion® Card from American Express have been collected by Credit Card Insider and have not been reviewed or provided by the issuer or provider of these products.
New Wells Fargo Active Cash Card Is Open for Applications — 2% Cash Back for Everything
- The new Wells Fargo Active Cash Card (Review) is now open for applications. It’s a strong contender, going up against the likes of the Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer (Review) and Chase Freedom Unlimited® (Review).
- Key features of the Active Cash card include:
- 2% cash back for every purchase
- $200 cash rewards bonus after spending $1,000 in the first 3 months
- Purchase APR: 0% for 15 months, then 14.99%, 19.99%, or 24.99% Variable
- Balance Transfer APR: 0% for 15 months, then 14.99%, 19.99%, or 24.99% Variable
- Balance Transfer fee: 3% for 120 days from account opening, then up to 5%; min: $5
- Foreign transaction fee: 3%
- Annual fee: $0
- See more excellent cash back credit cards.
Amex Platinum Gets More Benefits and a Higher Annual Fee
- One of Amex’s most famous cards, The Platinum Card® from American Express (Review), was given an upgrade with new benefits and a higher annual fee. The new perks remove a bit of the travel focus from this card, adding some features designed for day-to-day use.
- As of July 1, the new annual fee is $695, up from $550. (See current rates and fees here: (Rates & Fees))
- The new benefits include up to $919 per year in new statement credits:
- Up to $200 in credits annually for prepaid hotel bookings via Fine Hotels + Resorts or The Hotel Collection
- Up to $300 in credits annually with Equinox (up to $25 per month), for Equinox All Access, Destination, E by Equinox, or Equinox+ membership fees
- Up to $240 in credits annually for digital entertainment (up to $20 per month), only for eligible purchases from Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times.
- Up to $179 in credits annually for CLEAR biometric security, enough for a membership
- Global Dining Access by Resy: Provides access to exclusive reservations and dining experiences
- Membership in the Premium Private Jet Program by Wheels Up
- Enrollment required for select benefits; terms apply.
American Express Expands and Improves Global Lounge Collection
- The Global Lounge Collection by American Express is the best airport lounge program available on a credit card, providing access to a wide variety of lounge brands around the world (enrollment required; terms apply). That includes the fairly common Priority Pass network as well as Amex’s premium Centurion Lounges.
- The Global Lounge Collection is available with:
- Now, Amex is making some changes:
- Amex’s proprietary lounges, American Express International Lounges, will be converted to Centurion Lounges.
- Escape Lounges in the U.S. will be rebranded as Escape Lounges – The Centurion Studio Partner, and will feature some new complimentary amenities. This includes a new Centurion Lounge at LaGuardia Airport.
- Users of the following cards will gain complimentary access to more than 40 Centurion Lounges and Studios around the world:
- Guest and children policy change at select Centurion Lounges: Starting February 1, 2023, for users of the consumer and business Platinum cards, guests aged 18 and above will each cost $50. Children of cardholders aged 2–17 will cost $30 each. Free access for two guests can be earned by spending $75,000 in a calendar year, starting in 2022. This change affects all U.S. Centurion Lounges, the London Heathrow (LHR) location and the Hong Kong (HKG) location.
- Enrollment required for select benefits; terms apply.
- Source: American Express
- See the best credit cards for airport lounge access.
New Miami Marlins Credit Card From Cardless
- A new credit card for Miami Marlins fans is available for applications: Miami Marlins Credit Card.
- It comes with some Marlins-themed features, like:
- 5% cash back at retail and concessions at loanDepot park
- 5X points on Marlins tickets
- 3X points on dining, food delivery, gas, and drugstores
- 1X point on everything else
- Redeem for VIP experiences, seat upgrades for Marlins tickets, and autographed memorabilia
- Transfer card rewards to Home Run Rewards (10:1)
- The Miami Marlins Credit Card is by Cardless, a fintech company with several other team cards on its roster, like the Manchester United Credit Card.
For rates and fees of the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card, please click here.
For rates and fees of The Platinum Card® from American Express, please click here.
For rates and fees of the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card, please click here.
For rates and fees of The Business Platinum Card® from American Express, please click here.
Brendan has been writing about personal finance for over eight years, and is now taking on the challenge of bringing high-quality credit education to the masses. He makes sure that Credit Card Insider is covering the most important credit topics transparently and precisely, and that we have up-to-date reviews of credit cards so you can find cards that are right for you.
Do you have a correction, tip, or suggestion for a new post? Contact us here.
The responses below are not provided or commissioned by bank advertisers. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by bank advertisers. It is not the bank advertisers' responsibility to ensure all posts are accurate and/or questions are answered.