Chase Offers and Shop Through Chase: Why You Should Use Them
Credit Card Insider is an independent, advertising supported website. Credit Card Insider receives compensation from some credit card issuers as advertisers. Advertiser relationships do not affect card ratings or our Editor’s Best Card Picks. Credit Card Insider has not reviewed all available credit card offers in the marketplace. Content is not provided or commissioned by any credit card issuers. Reasonable efforts are made to maintain accurate information, though all credit card information is presented without warranty. When you click on any ‘Apply Now’ button, the most up-to-date terms and conditions, rates, and fee information will be presented by the issuer. Credit Card Insider has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Credit Card Insider and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. A list of these issuers can be found on our Editorial Guidelines.
Earning points and cash back doesn’t have to stop with the standard rewards rate that comes with your Chase card. Take advantage of programs like Chase Offers and Shop through Chase to maximize discounts and rewards.
Credit Card Insider receives compensation from advertisers whose products may be mentioned on this page. Advertiser relationships do not affect card evaluations. Advertising partners do not edit or endorse our editorial content. Content is accurate to the best of our knowledge when it's published. Learn more in our Editorial Guidelines.
The information related to Chase Freedom Flex℠ has been collected by Credit Card Insider and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer or provider of this product.
Chase cardholders may have the opportunity to earn extra discounts and rewards on top of the standard rate with the help of two valuable programs — Chase Offers and Shop through Chase.
Here are some of the best credit cards to use:
|Card & Rewards||Annual Fee|
|Chase Sapphire Reserve®
|Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
|Chase Freedom Flex℠
|Chase Freedom Unlimited®
|Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card
|Ink Business Cash® Credit Card
|Ink Business Unlimited® Credit Card
Chase Offers is a seamless way to receive statement credits for purchases from popular retailers. These offers can be accessed through Chase’s Ultimate Rewards mall and don’t require digital coupons to be scanned or codes to be entered. It was introduced in November 2018 as a competitor of the popular Amex Offers (available for certain American Express cards).
It’s available through Chase.com, the Chase mobile app, and the Chase Pay app (the last option only until early 2020), where cardholders can sign in and view available offers. Some Chase cards are not eligible for Chase Offers, so check with the credit card issuer if you’re not sure, but in general you can expect it to work for Ultimate Rewards and co-branded cards, along with certain debit cards.
Cardholders will receive different offers based on their spending. Offers are unique to each card, and a single offer can’t be used universally across your Chase credit cards. If your Freedom Unlimited receives a 5% discount offer at Starbucks, you can’t use your Sapphire Preferred to redeem the deal. The offer will be loaded onto the Freedom Unlimited card specifically, and the Sapphire Preferred may have its own set of offers.
Examples of discounts you may find through Chase Offers include:
- 5% back on an Airbnb reservation
- 5% back at Rite Aid
- $10 back at Sam’s Club
- 15% back at Amazon
- Spend $50 at Lowe’s and get $10 back
How Are Chase Offers Earned?
Chase Offers discounts are returned to cardholders as statement credits applied to their accounts within 7–14 business days of a purchase being made. You can use these deals and still earn at the normal reward rates of your cards.
In order to use an offer, you must select it before making the purchase. The offer will be loaded to whatever card is associated with the account and applied automatically when the qualifying transaction is completed.
These offers do have expiration dates, typically lasting less than a month. Even if you add the offer to your card right away, you still need to use it within the given time frame. Chase Offers can also be applied towards any purchase made using the Shop through Chase portal, as explained below.
Why Aren’t There Any Chase Offers Available for Me?
If you aren’t seeing any available offers, there are two possible reasons for this:
- You aren’t using a Chase card that’s eligible for Chase Offers
- You aren’t using your eligible Chase card enough
Expanding on number two, Chase Offers are tailored to the cardholder. This means that the Chase apps and website provide you with offers based on your card activity (although your offers may not seem to correlate with your spending in any way).
You may have no Chase Offers available if you don’t use your card often, or perhaps just a couple per month. As you increase activity, Chase Offers will take note of what kinds of purchases you make and provide specific offers accordingly.
When searching for Chase Offers through the Chase Pay app, you won’t see any menus that say “Chase Offers.” After logging in, go to the main screen of the app and click on “Available offers,” which is found in the “In the Spotlight” menu, to see your deals.
Shop Through Chase
The main Chase shopping portal, which goes by its official name, Shop through Chase, is a separate rewards opportunity featured in the Ultimate Rewards program. You can access this program with any Chase Ultimate Rewards card, like the ones listed above.
The portal provides cardholders with bonus rewards at a changing selection of over 400 merchants. For a full list of participating merchants, log in to your Chase account and navigate to the Ultimate Rewards mall, where you’ll likely see some offers presented to you.
Shop through Chase offers may include extra rewards at:
- Office Depot
- Sam’s Club
The portal will redirect you to the merchant’s online shopping site, where you can then receive bonus rewards when you complete a qualifying transaction. The shopping portal allows cardholders to earn unlimited bonus rewards points.
Offers come and go, so if you spot a store you like but you don’t have a purchase to make, consider buying a gift card. You’ll earn extra points, and you can use it when you need something later on.
When you enter the Ultimate Rewards mall, first you’ll need to select which card you will be using. When you complete a transaction within the merchant site, be sure to use the same card you selected when you entered the Ultimate Rewards section.
If you have more than one eligible card, it could be worth your time to explore the offers available for each. You may find that one card provides 2% extra cash back at the retailer you’ve got your eye on, while another provides 5% extra.
When you earn “cash back” with a Chase Ultimate Rewards card, you’re technically earning Chase Ultimate Rewards points, not cash back (each point is typically worth 1 cent). This doesn’t really matter for us here, but don’t get confused if you see points being earned with a cash back card.
Some things to keep in mind to make sure you’re getting the most out of the Shop through Chase portal:
- When you select a merchant through the portal, you are sent to that retailer’s site. Although transactions are happening on the merchant’s actual site, you must still enter through the shopping portal in order to earn bonus rewards.
- Complete your transaction in the window opened through the portal. If you open additional windows or enter a new site through an existing window, this can interfere with the cookies that identify you as a Shop through Chase user.
- Bonus points earned through Shop through Chase aren’t multiplied by the standard rewards rate already earned with your Chase card. They’re instead an additional rate on top of what you’d normally earn. Say HomeDepot.com is a current 5% bonus category for the Chase Freedom Flex, and that site is also listed through the portal as earning an extra 2%. You wouldn’t earn 10% back on that purchase, but rather 7% back.
Can You Combine Chase Offers With Shop Through Chase?
Yes, Chase Offers and Shop through Chase can be combined for even more lucrative opportunities. You must first load any Chase Offers onto your card, then enter your desired merchant through the Shop through Chase portal.
If you don’t enter the shopping portal and complete the transaction within it, then you’ll only receive the statement credit from the Chase Offer. Conversely, if you complete the transaction within the shopping portal but don’t first load the Chase Offer onto your card, you’ll only receive the bonus Ultimate Rewards for that purchase.
What Are the Best Cards to Use With Chase Offers and Shop Through Chase?
You’ll get the most out of these programs with Chase Ultimate Rewards cards, which allow you to use both Chase Offers and Shop through Chase. These include personal credit cards as well as business options.
See which card works best for you:
- Chase Sapphire Reserve® (Review): This excellent travel card, which has no foreign transaction fees, offers a 50% point bonus when you redeem for travel through the Ultimate Rewards portal. The $550 annual fee is high, but it brings big rewards like a $300 travel credit and $100 credit towards TSA PreCheck or Global Entry.
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card (Review): This card has fewer perks than the Reserve but still allows you to transfer points to airline and hotel partners like Southwest Airlines, United, Marriott Bonvoy, or Hyatt. Take advantage of the introductory offer to get bonus points.
- Chase Freedom Flex℠ (Review): The Freedom Flex offers 5% cash back in select rotating categories, plus a variety of others. Shop strategically using Chase Offers and the shopping portal along with the 5% cash back.
- Chase Freedom Unlimited® (Review): This card has a good welcome bonus as well as 5% cash back on Lyft rides and travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards, 3% back at restaurants and drugstores, and 1.5% cash back on everything else.
- Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card (Review): For a $95 annual fee, cardholders will earn 3X Ultimate Rewards points on travel and other business-related purchases, plus 5X points per dollar on Lyft rides. Transfer the points to a travel partner for the best value.
- Ink Business Cash® Credit Card (Review): Get 5% cash back on office supplies, internet services and Lyft Rides, and 2% on gas and dining. The downside is the spending caps, $25,000 at each rate, which businesses might hit easily.
- Ink Business Unlimited® Credit Card (Review): This is like a business version of the Freedom Unlimited, with 5% cash back on Lyft rides and 1.5% back on all other purchases, without a spending cap.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which cards are eligible for Chase Offers and Shop through Chase?
Any Chase rewards credit card is eligible for Chase Offers, including business credit cards. Some Chase debit cards are eligible as well, . The specific offers will vary by card and according to your spending habits. Shop through Chase is available for Chase Ultimate Rewards cardholders and can be accessed in the Ultimate Rewards section of the app or on Chase.com.
Although many cards have bonus reward categories, not every issuer has extra discount programs like these. Amex Offers is another strong contender, while Citi, Bank of America, and some others have programs as well.
How do I add Chase Offers to my card?
Browse the offers through the Chase Rewards Mall at Chase.com or on the Chase app. Select the offers you want and add them to your card before you shop. Then, make your purchase through the retailer and you’ll see your savings as a statement credit within 7–14 days.
If you have multiple Chase cards, the rewards will vary, so make sure you shop with the correct one. Chase has some of the best rewards cards — see how reward cards from other issuers compare.
What kind of discounts can I get with Chase Offers?
You can get discounts from a variety of retailers including restaurants, clothing stores, tech, and homegoods. Here are some examples: 10% back from Starbucks, 10% back from Madewell, 20% back from Kindle, $75 back from ADT, and 10% back from Casper. The options change frequently and each offer lasts for a limited time, so check the Rewards Mall often.
These discount programs are specific to Chase, but dining rewards are common; check out some other restaurant credit cards.
Brendan has been writing about personal finance for over eight years, and is now taking on the challenge of bringing high-quality credit education to the masses. He makes sure that Credit Card Insider is covering the most important credit topics transparently and precisely, and that we have up-to-date reviews of credit cards so you can find cards that are right for you.
Do you have a correction, tip, or suggestion for a new post? Contact us here.
The responses below are not provided or commissioned by bank advertisers. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by bank advertisers. It is not the bank advertisers' responsibility to ensure all posts are accurate and/or questions are answered.