October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and it’s no secret that male or female, we will wear any and every shade of pink, buy delicious pink cupcakes at every bake sale, dye our hair pink, poke ourselves with pink pins and pink ribbons and maybe even take it as far as driving a pink car just to support the super women that battle this terrifying fight every day.
While all of these gestures are definitely a way to show our support for breast cancer awareness, at the end of the day they serve as important reminders of just how closely breast cancer hits home. The American Cancer Society recently released Breast Cancer Facts and Figures 2013-2014, which found the shocking figure that 1 in 8 American women will develop breast cancer in their lifetime. With those statistics growing every year, it makes Breast Cancer Awareness Month that much more important as funding efforts are the only true way faster cures are going to be found.
So, how are you going to “Think Pink” this month? Personally, I’m a big fan of the pink hair extension - it literally is attached to me, making it a daily reminder that really makes me feel like I am part of this initiative that shows these women they are not alone.
Here are five ways men and women are Thinking Pink in October:
- The NFL’s - A Crucial Catch Campaign: For the past few years the NFL has made a huge effort to donate as much as possible to the American Cancer Society by raising money through their “Pink” merchandise. It has to be so comforting for those living with breast cancer to turn on the NFL during October and see pink just everywhere. 100% of the NFL’s net proceeds from their “Pink” merchandise are donated to the American Cancer Society. Their efforts score them a game winning touchdown!
- Essie Breast Cancer Awareness Nail Polish Collection: This one may be mostly for the ladies; Essie proudly introduced their latest breast cancer awareness collection with two fabulous shades of pink showing how they are Thinking Pink. A PINKtober manicure might be the perfect reason to leave the kids home, and get your nails Pink-a-fied for a great cause!
- Susan G. Komen - Race For The Cure: Get those pink sneaks ready and find a race near you! Make it a fun filled day of Thinking Pink for the whole family!
- Pink Ribbon Banking Account - Bank of America: Bank of America is working to “make every day Pink.” When a Pink Ribbon Banking Account is opened and activated they make a contribution to the Susan G. Komen effort. Komen receives a minimum of $3 and up to 0.20 percent of all net retail purchases made with the card. There’s no better way to Think Pink than doing it every day of the year!
- E.L.F. Studio HD Blush in Headliner: E.L.F. Cosmetics is donating 100% of the profits from the sale of their Studio HD Blush in their Headliner color to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. There’s no better way to Think Pink than to actually wear it on those rosy cheeks of yours!
Though wearing pink is not going to cure breast cancer there is one thing that we can take away from this, just how beautiful people really can be. Not just because they are wearing pink on the outside, but how they’re wearing it on their hearts during PINKtober. If none of these ways of supporting the pink initiative fit your day-to-day life, you can always find your local and national awareness campaigns and donate monetarily directly to the cause. I’d love to hear how you are Thinking Pink and supporting those living with breast cancer this October.
This article is dedicated to all the super women that are fighting and surviving breast cancer day-to-day. I guess we can throw the old “you fight like a girl” insult out the window, since today, fighting like a girl, means beating breast cancer!